Homemade Soap With Essential Oils - Lavender, Geranium, and Patchouli

$25

Are you looking for some unique and useful DIY gift idea? Then you should give homemade soap with essential oils a try!!

homemade soap with essential oils lavender geranium and patchouli

Supplies needed:

• 2 lb block of Shea Butter Soap Base (Goat’s Milk soap base is also just as great!) – this is enough for 12 bars
  • Silicone Mold   for 12 bars
  • Lavender Essential Oil
  • Geranium Essential Oil
  • Patchouli Essential Oil
  • Purple jojoba beads
  • Microwave Safe Glass Measuring Cup w/ Spout
  • Glass spray bottle with 50:50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water
  • Spatula
  • Decorative tape, raffia, burlap, ribbon, or the free printable soap labels you can get below.

Makes 12 bars

1.  The large block of the soap base is smooth and silky, and it cuts easily with a kitchen knife. First, slice the soap base into strips, then cubes, and place them inside the microwave safe measuring cup.
  2. Next, melt in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring well in between to ensure that the soap is completely melted. It took three 30 second heatings for each batch to 100% melt. My pyrex measuring cup was only big enough to melt half of the soap at one time, so I ended up making 2 batches out of the 2 lbs of soap base.

3. Once the soap is completely melted, add 15 drops each of lavender, patchouli, and geranium essential oils. You can add more if you want a stronger scent.

4. After you have added and mixed in your essential oils, add 1 tablespoon of purple jojoba beads for some color and texture.

5. Be careful with the jojoba beads when adding them to your soap. You don't want your soap too hot - over 160º, or your beads could melt or float to the top. I've never had that happen to me, but have had readers tell me and send me pictures asking why that happened. I recommend heating up the soap in 30-second increments in the microwave. As soon as the soap is melted, pull it out. You want it just melted and not any hotter, or it may melt the jojoba beads.

6. Once all of that is stirred well, pour it into the soap mold and let sit for at least 45 to an hour minutes to cool. The 2 lbs of soap exactly fit to make 12 bars using this mold. If you don't want any bubbles on the bottom of your soap, then give your melted soap a quick spritz of 50:50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water, and the bubbles will pop so that you have a smooth bottom.

7. Once your soap cools, you can pop it out of the mold. If these are for a homemade gift idea, then decorate them with burlap ribbon, purple raffia, or the soap labels I have provided for you! (see below to get them in your inbox so you can print them out and wrap them around your bars of soap.)

Free Homemade Lavender, Geranium, & Patchouli Soap Label

I also have this great free printable soap label sheet! Just fill out the form over here and you will get the PDF sent right into your inbox! Then you can click, print and cut out these labels to wrap around and add to your lavender soap for a more polished look of your handmade soap!

Maura White

• Bijoux

Thanks for sharing. Good step by step.

Why yellow pansies? Pretty but not in recipe.

• Bijoux

Pansies are pretty & showy!! Glad you had lavender to show too. Thanks for sharing & responding.

• Tonya

What adjustments and/or additions would be needed to make this a liquid soap?

• Judy Constance

Do you need to use oil that is useable internally since you are putting on your skin?

• Maura White

I wouldn't use oils that say they are strictly for aromatherapy b/c those are lower quality and are diluted with alcohol. But I don't think it needs to be labeled as safe for ingestion since you aren't ingesting it.

• Keelie

What brand of essential oils did you use? I have discovered they are not equal... Thanks! Beautiful job!!

• Maura White

I personally like Rocky Mountain Essential oils - the scent is way stronger than Aura Cacia for example.

I also like that RMO is not an MLM company (unlike YL or doterra - although those are great quality), so the quality is just as great, but a bit cheaper.