How to Build a Large Bin for Trash

$60
1 Day

We live in a rural area where there are lots of critters running around. Regular trash cans are definitely not an option unless I want to spend time every day picking up trash that was courteously distributed by the local raccoons! I used the off cuts from a deck-building project to build a large bin to house the trash that not only keeps the critters out but it also hides it from view!

how to build a large bin for trash

Even though this bin is to hold trash, I still wanted it to at least look nice! I used pressure-treated 5/4 deck boards that were left over from our new front deck.

how to build a large bin for trash

I used pressure-treated 2x2s to build the frame, then secured the bottom and end pieces using 2-1/2" exterior screws.

how to build a large bin for trash

I installed the boards on the front and back, then stenciled my address number on the side (a visible address is a requirement for 911 service in rural areas).

how to build a large bin for trash

I created the lid by spreading the boards across the top, evenly spaced, then securing three perpendicular 2x2s to the top. The lid is secured to the box using strap hinges and because the lid is heavy, I installed gas springs on the underside.

I love how it turned out and am planning on building something similar for package deliveries!

Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Em

Why the picture of the piece of wood bigger than the top with the chicken run wire in it? I had to read it twice to see that it has nothing to do with your container.

It turned out really nice but confusing picture.

• Barbara Van Kampen

Looks good! So the garbage collectors know your trash is in there? Do you have a separate one for recycling? We’ve always had bins on wheels provided by the garbage company.

• Brianna Wyckoff

Love this idea! What is the mesh cloth used for? I see it in one of the pictures but can’t figure out where that is once the box is complete. Is it on the bottom for leaks? Thanks!