Patio Surround

$200

We have a very small Arizona yard, so in order to have a little privacy in the hot tub, I came up with the idea of building a simple surround that would provide privacy, but still allow viewing the stars

This is the "before". Awesome hot tub, but not much privacy

Very small yard with neighbors closeby....

We used only (4) 4X4's that were 10 feet long. We cemented them into the ground, buried 2 feet deep for stability. And then used 2X4's along the top to connect them. (Sorry, I got excited while doing this project and forgot to take photos of the structure before hanging the pipe and curtains  )

I bought these heavy duty hooks and some 1 inch galvanized pipe that I had Home Depot cut to the proper lengths.

I screwed hooks to the underside of the top support beams and then slid the pipe into them.

I bought canvas drop cloths...

...and clip curtain rings. The drop cloths were 9 feet long and I only needed about 8 feet, so I measured each drop cloth and folded over the excess, ironing the fold for a crisp finish.

Then I measured and spaced the clips evenly on the drop cloth curtains and slid the rings onto the pipes. Finally, I screwed end caps on the ends of the pipes.

I screwed more hooks onto the sides of the 4X4's to hold the tiebacks. I made tiebacks out of rope I had leftover from a previous project.

And I'm done! Pretty simple project and we love the end result.

Curtains opened.

Curtains closed.

Just the right amount of privacy. We decided not to put curtains on the other end and leave it open. The privacy is just really for the hottub

• Dpbeee2

I like that you solved a problem in a very pretty and stylish way without breaking the bank too! Thank you.

• Rosa Torres Aiello

Great job, love it. I thought about painting the cloth too, but that is just more work for maybe another time.