Michelle
Michelle
  • Tutorial Team
  • Mesa, AZ

Patio Surround

$200

We have a very small Arizona yard, so in order to have a little privacy in the hot tub, I came up with the idea of building a simple surround that would provide privacy, but still allow viewing the stars

patio surround

This is the "before". Awesome hot tub, but not much privacy

patio surround

Very small yard with neighbors closeby....

patio surround

We used only (4) 4X4's that were 10 feet long. We cemented them into the ground, buried 2 feet deep for stability. And then used 2X4's along the top to connect them. (Sorry, I got excited while doing this project and forgot to take photos of the structure before hanging the pipe and curtains  )

patio surround

I bought these heavy duty hooks and some 1 inch galvanized pipe that I had Home Depot cut to the proper lengths.

patio surround

I screwed hooks to the underside of the top support beams and then slid the pipe into them.

patio surround

I bought canvas drop cloths...

patio surround

...and clip curtain rings. The drop cloths were 9 feet long and I only needed about 8 feet, so I measured each drop cloth and folded over the excess, ironing the fold for a crisp finish.

patio surround

Then I measured and spaced the clips evenly on the drop cloth curtains and slid the rings onto the pipes. Finally, I screwed end caps on the ends of the pipes.

patio surround

I screwed more hooks onto the sides of the 4X4's to hold the tiebacks. I made tiebacks out of rope I had leftover from a previous project.

patio surround

And I'm done! Pretty simple project and we love the end result.

patio surround

Curtains opened.

patio surround

Curtains closed.

patio surround

Just the right amount of privacy. We decided not to put curtains on the other end and leave it open. The privacy is just really for the hottub