DIY Globe Pendant Light

$15

I have seen these Globe Pendant Lights on etsy and love them. I’ve always wanted one for my boys rooms so when I found a globe on the thrift store shelves for $4.99 I knew I had to try making one. And guess what? It was super easy.

diy globe pendant light

Step 1 in Making the Globe Pendant Light…

Take the metal piece off. I thought this would be harder, but I just gave it a good tug and off it came!

diy globe pendant light
diy globe pendant light

Step 2 in Making the Globe Pendant Light, Cut the Globe…

Use your exacto knife to cut off the bottom piece (you could also cut it in half and make 2 – mine had a piece of metal in the middle making it to hard to cut). Luckily the globe already has latitude lines right on it, so all you have to do it trace along one of those lines with your knife! So easy. Make sure your blade is nice and sharp and make sure you are CAREFUL.

diy globe pendant light
diy globe pendant light

Step 3 in Making the Globe Pendant Light, Paint the inside…

Next, I sanded down any rough edges and then spray painted the inside white. You can also use craft paint for this step, and I actually wish I had done that since spray paint smells so bad!

diy globe pendant light

Step 4 in Making the Globe Pendant Light, Cut a hole for the light kit…

Hold up the light to the globe and trace a line around it, then use your exacto knife to cut a circle. Then screw on the top on the inside of the globe to attach it.

diy globe pendant light
diy globe pendant light
diy globe pendant light

Step 5, Clean it up…

I added some white caulking around the light fixture to give it a cleaner, more professional look.

diy globe pendant light
diy globe pendant light

Last step was to hang it up.

SIDE NOTE: I actually made 2 of these lights. One for each of my boys. One globe I found at the thrift store (and is the one in all the pictures above), and the other a friend gave me (and is the one you see in the pictures below). We haven’t hung up the first one yet, but that is why the colors of the globe are different.

Another Side Note - I used a low, 40 watt bulb, but if you are worried about the globe heating up, use an LED bulb which generates very little heat.

diy globe pendant light
diy globe pendant light
diy globe pendant light

And look what my husband did with the left over metal piece. He put in one of his prized, signed footballs. He did have to glue the football to make it stay put.

diy globe pendant light

The House house

• Keppie

I love it. Good job. My son is a school teacher and I want to make him one. Thank you so much for sharing! God bless you!

Thank u again, Keppie Renfro

• Sadie Davis

Clever. Have you thought of drilling holes in places you've been or would like to go so the light can shine though in those spots?

• Rebecca

I found a globe but it currently is broken, split around the middle. Does anyone have suggestions of what glue to use to repair it that would also hold up for this project?

• Pretty amazing and so simple!

• Rebecca
    Yesterday

Ok so I made it. I had a little frustrations along the way but I’m in love with how it came out. I got my globe for $.50 because it was split at the equator so had to fix that last night. Then when I was cutting out the hole for the light, it hit a metal ring that was between the globe picture and inside cardboard. But I figured out how to get it out without destroying the hole. I also went with craft paint instead of spray paint and I wish I went with spray instead, since my inside was cardboard it was a little temperamental with the paint. I had also gotten my light part at a thrift store so my most expensive part was my paint at $1.29. I used really thin washi tape to finish the bottom instead of caulk. But I love it for around $3

• The House house
      Yesterday

Wow!!!! Look at you go! Looks amazing. Sorry you had a little trouble along the way. What a great job and for only a few dollars it’s a steal.