Why are my hens and chicks massive and growing upward?

Robyn GarnerJan ClarkAubyn Royall
+3

I've never seen hens and chicks like this. They were normal when I transplanted them, but now the leaves are very long and grow upward like arms. They get a good amount of sun. It looks odd to me. They are also absolutely massive, some over ten inches tall. What do you think?

q why are my hens and chicks growing upward

With my huge hand for size comparison.

• Libbie B

I think they look very healthy. Some varieties do get taller than others.

• Kelli L. Milligan

I think they love their new home

I wouldn't worry about it, but call or visit your local nursery to get more information for your area and project. See what they say.

• Lynn Sorrell

Sempervivum/Hens and chicks are easy to grow and come in many different varieties of colors, sizes and textures to choose from. Some can grow very large and some remain tiny. They can grown in full sun or partial shade. But the optimal coloration is achieved when placed in full or bright sunlight. They need adequate moisture during the hottest months of the year, but generally do not like to be overwatered or sitting in water. To propagate, extract the baby chick from the mother plant and plant as is.All succulents that come in the store are just starter plants babies

• Aubyn Royall

I transplanted fully grown hens and chicks that were several years old. They were ordinary, wide, low to the ground and maybe 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Only after transplanting did they start stretching upwards and getting very long leaves. Glad to hear that they look healthy though!!

• Jan Clark

Unfortunately, many big-box stores do not label the specific variety of their plants or explain the possible adult sized dimensions. Generic names like Hens and Chicks and Marigolds can be very deceiving - it's like saying "this plant will produce tomatoes". In the future, if a botanical name is listed on the container, look it up on your phone for an accurate description. That's what I do, now. I have fallen for the label name too many times and ended up with unexpected plants. Although, sometimes that was a fun surprise, other times not so much.

• Robyn Garner

They look wonderful and healthy! I suspect they were totally root bound prior and are now going "nuts"! Plus, they look ready to make a zillion chicks. Can I have some? 😎