Asked on Jun 2, 2019

How to repurpose an old metal large dog cage?

VirnansiRaulMReederNnettat
+4

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

You could cut some wood to place on top (for a table) and then use the bottom for storage. Maybe spray paint it to match your decor.

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

Donate it to your local animal shelter - its usefulness there far outweighs any projects you can make with it.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Use for other Smaller Pet as an outside run.

Fill with Rubble and use as seat or base for Sculpture or as Bug Hotel filled with timber and stone and hollow sticks. or Garden Table .

Make a Fairy Grotto, Garden Planter. Cover a small Pond or Fruit or veg to stop Pigeons/birds/Rabbits etc. eating crop.

Apply to timber frame and make a screen for indoors or outside. Climb plants over it or decorate to taste. Hope that helps

• Nnettat
    Nnettat

Most searches result in making the kennel into furniture, or furniture into a kennel for the dog/cat which is strictly furniture to conceal the kennel itself, not repurpose.

Since it is still spring here, landscaping came to mind. Go vertical with it. Such as a trellis. Take the kennel apart. Place a side or two into a nice frame with whatever doo-dads you want for decoration. Paint it all the same color if you want. BUT... be sure to put a sign, on the sides with a door, "Keep gate closed." (Will be an interesting whimsical for your garden.)

This should do great for any vining plants from beans & cucumbers to fragrant roses. Your choice.

It can also be made into a bird feeder. A squirrel proof feeder. Cut it down into a cage to a little bit larger than the size of one of the doors. Cube design. Open the door, add the food (in a bowl or whatever works for you), close. Piece of wood the size of the bottom should help stabilize. No need to weld corner really. Just use zip ties and or attach wood to the corner seams. Pry open some of squares of the 'screening' so the larger birds such as robins can get at the sunflower seeds.

The only thing you'll need to worry about with the squirrels is them swinging it to dump the food, if hung. Could also put it on a platform pole. (Add a Slinky at the top of pole under the platform. Watch the squirrels slide back down the pole once they reach the Slinky.  )

Hope I sparked some ideas.

• RaulMReeder
    RaulMReeder

Safety for large dogs are very important for dogs or as well as for people as well. I also have a little dog and my friend suggest me this site https://www.helpshelterpets.org/peruvian-guinea-pig/ to take cage for pets. He said that here we can get many kind of cages for our pets, I really like it.

• Virnansi
    Virnansi

How many times I've watched video reviews about the cell. Somebody even managed to do something like dog houses. It was a shock to me. I have a private house and a dog lives in a custom cage.