Lining Drawers With Gift Wrap Paper

$15

Old pieces of furniture are beautiful, but their vintage charm also comes with some ugly signs of many years of use and sometimes abuse by their previous owners. The inside of drawers are especially susceptible to show those signs, and sometimes not even a good cleaning is enough to give them a fresh, pretty look.

One of my favorite solutions for this problem is lining the inside of the drawers with beautiful gift-wrap paper. For this purpose, the thicker the paper, the better.

I will show you how easy it is to do it.

Measure the bottom of the inside of your drawer, then draw the corresponding area on the back of your paper, adding half an inch to each side so the liner gets a little bigger that the bottom of your drawer.

Attach several pieces of double sided tape to the bottom of the drawer covering at least all edges and the center.

Attach the paper to the taped area aligning first the front side and one of the front corners.

Gradually attach the rest by pressing the paper down slowly moving across the surface, readjusting when necessary. You will need to readjust a few times, that is why you want to work with a thicker paper that will not rip easily during the process.

Finally, use a box cutter knife to cut off the excess paper from the other two sides.

Now your drawer look clean and pretty!

And you can easily remove and replace the paper whenever you want without making any mess!

Another solution for ugly, beat-up drawers is to paint them. Check out my blog post to see how beautiful they can look painted.

Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Sarinasala1

How would you renovate furniture useing wrapping paper?

• Grandma Ali

Decoupage. Cover the whole front, or top and sides with it. Line the drawers, as shown. Or decorate the side panels of the drawers so you see the pattern when they're opened!

• Chakka1

won't the gift wrap paper rip and tear easily

• CrazyClock

Yes, it definitely does! I've been doing this since the 70s and changed the paper as my tastes change. Wallpaper works better because it's thicker, but is more expensive.

Traditional drawer liner is made from a thick, very sturdy paper. Wrapping paper is fun, much more varied and usually more beautiful than any drawer liner you can find, especially these days.

• Kathryn Sanderson

I think this is a beautiful idea! My only concern would be the acid content of the paper. Can it harm the wood or the things stored in the drawers?

• Diane

Excellent idea. Thanks

• Sally-Charles Evans

It's a great idea....I've done it in many forms for years. I have used gift wrap, leftover wallpaper (looks especially nice in the room with the matching paper) and Contact paper.