How to Add Comfort to a Bar Stool Foot Rest

$3

In this week's Workshop Wednesday we shared a field trip, as well as a review of Steph's new Ruggable washable rug. You can see those segments at the :50 and 9:00 marks. In between is our Fast DIY segment at the 5:25 mark.

Steph's new bar stools have an uncomfortable thin bar as a foot rest. She decided to use pipe insulation to solve the problem. Pipe insulation looks like a pool noodle but only comes in black, is split down the middle and and can have adhesive on the edges.

You can see all three segments in the video.

That curved rod is the foot rest. It's okay if you're wearing shoes, but really tough on bare feet. For this Fast DIY, you'll need pipe insulation, fabric if you want to cover it, scissors, and a hot glue gun.

The first version is super simple. Cut the insulation to size, peel back the adhesive covering and put it on the foot rest. Line up the sides and stick them together. Turn it so the seam faces the floor.

If you want to remove it, don't expose the adhesive. Just put it in place and turn the seam down.

If you want to be fancy, you can cover it. Cut a rectangle a little larger than the length and width of the insulation. Fold the edges down and hot glue or stitch into place. These will be the sides of the cover. The cut edges will tuck down into the split in the insulation.

Remove the adhesive cover from one side. Tuck and stick one of the cut edges inside the insulation. Do the same with the other side. If the fabric is a little long, cut off the excess before tucking.

Add it to the foot rest and turn the seam towards the floor.

Pipe insulation and a little fabric add a level of comfort to those uncomfortable foot rests.

Steph is trying to decide which she likes better. Let us know in the comments below what you think. Does anyone else have uncomfortable bar stools? Share your fix.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Jan

You can also use pool noodles for this?

• Theresa Penrod

I like the plain black. But what about kids? Will you need to do both upper and lower foot rests ?

• Joanie

The grain wood will get uncomfortable like your feet, why not pad it and make a cover to match the feet pads......something in a shade that won't show dirt.....maybe some vinyl? Thank you for askin'.

• Linda0374

I just did the same thing on my outdoor patio table, used pool noodles and canvas fabric, love it, I can now put my feet up

• Mother Daughter Projects

I love it. How smart to add it to the table! That is great "out of the box" thinking. I like your choice of fabric as well. Thank you for sharing. ~Vicki

• Carolyn Custer

I did this for the arm rests of one of my outdoor chairs where the wrapped design was uncomfortable on my arms. Great idea for foot rests!!