Updated Kitchen Back Splash With Peel and Stick Tiles

$150

You can update your kitchen back splash in a weekend with peel and stick glass aspect tiles. Its easy and there is no mess with no grouting involved.

updated kitchen back splash with peel and stick tiles

This what what our kitchen looked like before we started our kitchen renovation.

We demoed the old tile using a hammer drill and was left with uneven walls covered in old thin set.

We had to make the walls smooth before we could start the installation. The peel and stick tiles need a smooth and even surface to adhere to. We installed panels of Masonite directly onto to old wall, using drywall screws.

The hardest part for me was getting a level line all the way around to start laying the bottom row of tile. Once you get the bottom row finished, the rest goes pretty quickly. I went with a simple subway design, cutting the end tiles in half to avoid waste as much as possible. I used a wet saw to cut the tiles and that worked great, but you can also use a glass tile scoring tool. Make sure you place a piece of painter's tape over your tile before cutting to reduce the chance of breakage.

The peel and stick tiles have adhesive on the back so you can just peel off the backer and stick it up. Since the tile will be around heat and water in the kitchen, I went an extra step and placed a dab of Loctite in each of the 4 corners before placing them on the wall.

The best way to install them to get a close fit is to go in at an angle, then pressing it tightly to the tile next to it. I also checked level periodically...just to make sure I was good.

Once the tile was complete, I caulked the bottom edge where it meets the counter top.

We still need to finish building the new cabinet doors, but the kitchen already looks so much lighter and brighter with the glass tile and paint.

Mary from Real Girl's Realm

• Reggie

How to cut glass

• Nobea Palmer Dobson

I would love to do my backsplash, I have seen this way and they peel and stick sheets that you can use. However, my house is an older home SOLID brick, and the concrete/plaster walls so they are not smooth walls, they are the rough/bumpy walls. Do you think this would work?? OR do you have any recommendation Thanks

• Tammy Roads

You could get heavy duty glue and glue the Masonite to the wall instead of screws, or get concrete nails.

• Kristi

Unfortunately while this method may be an easy putting up process, taking them ‘off’ the wall is near to impossible and can damage your drywall in the process. And the fact that they are glass makes it downright dangerous to work with. I bought a house with this type of tile and am trying to get them off my wall without throwing shards of glass all over my house or completely ruin my drywall. Anyone have any good suggestions for removal? It feels like cement holding them to the wall and in fact I think that would have been easier to deal with. HELP!!!!

• This is what Aspect tile says per their website "If a tile needs to be removed, apply heat with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive. Use a putty knife on the back side and slowly apply outward pressure to release the tile from the wall." Even grouted tile will most likely damage the drywall from what I have seen. You can see in the pictures above that our wall was damaged from the thin set.

• Carter Cathy

cleaning the stove top/eyes would make a much better presentation.

clean stove top with Mr. Muscle/Mr. Clean eraser and some BarKeepers Friend, and for cooked on, a flat razor scraper. Just Saying.... shine it up and would look great...

• Baxter

Great makeover! Love the look & convenience of your stick-on tile---but the best part is that it doesn't need to be grouted. There are so many options in tile on the market---I've been reading and hunting for an easy (but beautiful) solution to the grouting and your post gives me a perfect option. Thank you for showing your results---your kitchen is coming along nicely! I can't imagine why you'd have to be concerned about the masonite wall disintegrating during everyday cooking or moisture since the tile makes a great barrier. So, unless you're going to turn a firehose on that backsplash, then I believe your wall is safe from collapsing into a big tile puddle.

One thing you can always count on when sharing ideas, is for critical know-it-alls to relentlessly point out the negative. Never let someone with the significance of a speed bump, become a roadblock on your road of creativity.

Thanks for sharing!

• Thank you so much for your kind comments. I realize this is not for everyone, but I Love how it turned out and it looks so much better than our previous dirt-filled grouted tile.