Upcycled Can Flower Arrangement

$4

*Bee* creative and think outside the vase! An upcycled can makes a charming container and vase for garden flowers.

I found this ‘Bradshaw’s Clover Blossom Honey’ can on eBay a while back. It spoke to my bee-loving heart with the vibrant graphics, depicting bees swarming around a bee skep! 

I used one of my favorite tools for flower arranging, chicken wire, which is reusable, unlike floral foam. Cut your chicken wire wider and longer than your container, so you have a several inches of wire on all sides of your container to bend and hold it securely in place. Chicken wire is easy to cut with pliers and is available at most craft stores, in small rolls or at garden centers in larger rolls.

I picked up a $4 bundle of sunflowers at the grocery store for a pop of sunny yellow color to go with the color of the bee skep on the can. The other flowers in the arrangement were blooms growing around the Potting Shed.

I included a few of ‘bee favorites’ like this Lamb’s Ear, that's currently buzzing with bees . . .

And bee balm which attracts bees, butterflies and hummingbirds.

If you want a plant that attracts pollinators, self-sows and that tolerates the heat, plant Verbena Lollipop! It grows in zones 6 – 10 and prefers full sun in well-drained soil.

For a little whimsy in my arrangement, I used my bee magnets that I use to transform my napkin rings --> see my Hometalk post ‘Quick and Easy Napkin Ring Makeover’.

To add the bee magnet to the arrangement, I used a metal binder clip, on top of a bamboo skewer.

I placed one bee magnet on the can, covering up the ‘Net Weight 5 lbs.’ . .

And added the second bee to the clip, tucking the skewer down in the hydrangea until the clip and skewer were concealed.

This bee flew over to enjoy a little nectar from the lamb’s ear in the arrangement while I was photographing it. He flew to several flowers in the arrangement, including the white hosta blooms, but the lamb’s ear was the clear favorite.

Here are few tips to help extend the life of your flowers in your arrangement:

💐 Start with a clean container or vase, washing thoroughly to remove potential bacteria that will shorten the life of your flowers.

💐 Cut your flower stems at a 45 degree angle for maximum water uptake and remove any leaves below the water line.

💐 Always add the floral preservative packets to your vase water that come with your flowers. If you don’t have any floral preservative, you can make your own with this easy formula.

💐 Check your water level to top it off if necessary. Some flowers like hydrangeas are heavy drinkers.

💐 If you’re using cut hydrangeas, use the alum-dipping method to keep them from wilting.

💐 Keep your flower arrangement away from heat or direct sunlight.

💐 When using garden flowers, cut them in the early morning when they are fully hydrated and not water stressed from the heat. For best results, condition them prior to arranging them, placing them in floral preservative / water solution for several hours or preferably overnight.

💐 Once a flower starts to fade, remove it from the vase as soon as possible. A dying flower releases ethylene gas that will hasten the decline of other flowers in your arrangement.

💐 Change your vase water every other day if possible.

See more photos and flowers around the Potting Shed at the link below!

Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Jeanette S

Mary, this is STUNNING!

I love using things like this for flowers...I am a bottle/jar freak! Since I learned to make the tin can wreaths, I am now a can freak! It started last Christmas and I have made several since!

While the weather here was so hot, I took the time to make my fall/halloween wreath an my Christmas wreath!

• Jeanette S

I have made several...I get the concave wire form and silk, and sometimes small items to decorate with, at the Dollar Tree and then use spray paint, hot glue, wire and small pieces and bows from years of collecting crafting items.

Here is my fall/halloween one:

I spray paint form, punch holes in side of can at top, and then on top and bottom...wire them onto the form, add the leaves or bows, finish off with some small ornaments. SOOOOO SIMPLE!!

I have my Christmas one finished already...worked on these while the weather was too hot to get outside!

The tiny trees on the Christmas one were cut out of some ribbon I have with white trees on it. The other small ornaments were put together with scraps I had left over. The bells came from the Dollar Tree.

I already have my small wooden hearts to make my Valentine's wreath! I am hooked!

I am also going to make a Christmas Tree for the Mailbox.

Here is my first layout...my son will help me with getting this put together and on the platform we put on the mailbox. The star will be covered with glue and then gold glitter; the cans will be green; and I have small stick on pieces from Hobby Lobby for the tree decorations.

The last photo shows how I use an ice pick to put a hole at the side of the top of the can (you can barely make it out) and then a hole at the side at the bottom and the actual bottom of the can.

Once you make one, they become rather easy.

• Sher Patrick

I want your garden! Bee-autiful arrangement.