Turn a Lantern Into a Planter

$10

Have you ever seen a candle in a lantern that was left out in the sun? Well, now imagine a wax battery operated candle...

This was one of my favorite candle lanterns from Target. It held  a battery powered candle and I had it out on the deck. Problem was I forgot to move it out of the sun and the whole thing melted into a big puddle, batteries included. Good to know it was actually made of wax but it was trash now. 

At least the candle was, but the candle holder was soon to be a new treasure for the deck. I was having problems with slugs in my garden and I needed to find a new home for my marigolds, apparently slugs love marigolds. I had forgotten that when I planted them earlier this month. 

This lantern was going to be the new home of one of the marigold plants. 

I began by replacing the glass dome and filling the bottom of the lantern with about an inch of pebbles. On top of that I added potting soil. In the potting soil I planted one of the healthier marigolds I was trying to save. 

There is no doubt that the lantern is even cuter as a planter than it was as a candle. There is a little condensation in the dirt right now because the plant is sitting out in the sun, that should go away. 

I'm looking forward to caring for this marigold so it will grow stronger and healthier and far away from the slugs! 

Visit Homeroad.net for all the details and for more repurposed planters you can create for the summer by clicking on the GO BOX at the bottom of this post.

Homeroad

• Rosi McCoy

Doesn't water leak out the bottom when you water it?

• Jacquelyne May

Link you provide for lantern is different from the lantern you used. Do you have a link for that one?

• Homeroad

No I'm sorry this one was bought at Target, there is no link but you could do this in any kind of lantern!

• Spanky

Love it! You sound so much like me. When my favorite bird feeder broke I turned it into a planter. I just think it's a good way to recycle and still keep so of your favorites! Good job!

• Homeroad

Thanks so much I love to repurpose! See more of my DIY at Homeroad.net

• Mary Coakley

Yes.on your knome project.lovely.variegated.plant

• Homeroad

ohhhh ok Mary, thanks for clarifying it... I believe that is phlox but I'm not too sure. I only pretend to know about plants LOL