Homeroad
Homeroad
  • Huntington, NY

Turn a Lantern Into a Planter

$10

Have you ever seen a candle in a lantern that was left out in the sun? Well, now imagine a wax battery operated candle...

turn a lantern into a planter

This was one of my favorite candle lanterns from Target. It held  a battery powered candle and I had it out on the deck. Problem was I forgot to move it out of the sun and the whole thing melted into a big puddle, batteries included. Good to know it was actually made of wax but it was trash now. 

At least the candle was, but the candle holder was soon to be a new treasure for the deck. I was having problems with slugs in my garden and I needed to find a new home for my marigolds, apparently slugs love marigolds. I had forgotten that when I planted them earlier this month. 

This lantern was going to be the new home of one of the marigold plants. 

turn a lantern into a planter

I began by replacing the glass dome and filling the bottom of the lantern with about an inch of pebbles. On top of that I added potting soil. In the potting soil I planted one of the healthier marigolds I was trying to save. 

turn a lantern into a planter

There is no doubt that the lantern is even cuter as a planter than it was as a candle. There is a little condensation in the dirt right now because the plant is sitting out in the sun, that should go away. 

turn a lantern into a planter

I'm looking forward to caring for this marigold so it will grow stronger and healthier and far away from the slugs! 

turn a lantern into a planter

Visit Homeroad.net for all the details and for more repurposed planters you can create for the summer by clicking on the GO BOX at the bottom of this post.

Homeroad

• Rosi McCoy

Doesn't water leak out the bottom when you water it?

• Jacquelyne May

Link you provide for lantern is different from the lantern you used. Do you have a link for that one?

• Homeroad

No I'm sorry this one was bought at Target, there is no link but you could do this in any kind of lantern!

• MaryAnn

Diatomaceous Earth is the answer to slugs. Combined with saucers of cheap beer, & a salt shaker in your pocket. The DE, sprinkled around your plants rips their flesh open & they die. Deep saucers of cheap beer, attract them, they suck it down, fall in and drown. The salt is for when you see them, sprinkle well, & they will die. There is a dark, damp, place, in your yard or your neighbors yard. That is where they live & reproduce. If you can find it & clean it up, the numbers will drop. First I've heard of them attacking marigolds. They aren't usually bothered. Use DE generously where they live, after first removing any thing they can hide under. Add beer traps to draw them away from the garden,

even a trap crop of lettuce you can pull and destroy once they attack it. And keep after them. Be tough on them & you can reduce their numbers. Use the

DE around any plants they bother., it's only calcium. None of these steps are toxic to children, pets, or the environment. They are organic too, so hopefully you can have your marigolds in planters & yard in a year or so. slugs are a nuisance nobody needs. It's a nice planter you made from that lamp. I like it. Would be nice for houseplants too.

• Homeroad

Oh my goodness thank you so much for all this good advice! I will definitely look for that. I’ve used the salt and the beer before with some success. Thank you for all your help!

• Daisy@TX

Thank you Mary Ann as well for all your info. I'm going to try this in my garden and lawn.

Love the lantern planter !!