Boost Curb Appeal With These Tall Planters

$16

I've always wanted to have a pair of tall planters for my front porch but I couldn't justify the cost, given I have no budget for such non-essentials. Costco has a pair for $159 and Wayfair sells them for $70.99 each. Then it occurred to me that the side table project I did last year, could just as easily serve as a template for planters, too! So, off to the dollar store I went.

This time, I bought four of the largest plastic pots I could find in the same colour as my side table. They are 15-inches wide at the top and cost only $4 each.

If you want, you could always spray paint the pots a different colour before you put them together.

If the pots you're using don't have drainage holes, be sure to put some in before you glue them together. Then apply a generous amount of either silicone or a strong glue such as E6000 and fit the bottom of the pots together. Make sure you line them up so the drainage holes are aligned.

You'll end up with hour glass shaped planters.

That's all there is to it! Just fill with potting soil and plants and you're done! The finished planters stand 22-inches tall.

I think my tall planters look more stylish than the squared and all rounded ones I've seen and they're certainly a lot less expensive!

I'm very pleased with the way these turned out. It's nice to know it's easy to have the summer decor items you want without having to spend a lot.

Note: Because these planters are plastic, you'll want to empty them and store them in the garage over the winter to prevent breakage.

To see more: https://www.dollarstorestyle.com

• Margaret McRae Davis

I haven’t read all of the comments (just saw this). Couldn’t you glue them together, then drill drainage holes through BOTH at the same time instead of trying to align them before gluing?

• PAT

Very nice. But where did you find the $4.00 planters. My dollar store doesn't have them. Thank you.

• Marlene

I bought these at a stre called Dollarama. In the States you could try Dollar General or Family Dollar.

• Toi Payne
    3 hours ago

I really love this idea.