Framed Succulent Planter

$35

Using chicken wire, an old frame, fresh succulents and sphagnum moss I created this one of a kind planter that can be hung or propped up to be displayed!

So cute and easy!

I prefer to buy my succulents and sphagnum moss at the local greenhouse. I feel that the plants are healthy and I am supporting local. But they are readily available at most stores with a garden section as well.

1. Take the back off of your frame.

2. Attach chicken wire to the inside edge using a staple gun.

3. After thoroughly soaking your sphagnum moss in water, squeeze it out and fill your open chicken-wire frame.

4. Attach a cut-to-size piece of plastic to hold the wet moss securely in place.

5. Reattach the back piece of the frame.

6. Slowly begin adding your succulents in the front, through the wire by first making a hole in the moss and carefully placing the roots of the succulent into the premade hole.

7. Secure each succulent to the chicken wire with a small strip of wire.

That's it! Hang or prop your Succulent Frame for display and enjoy!

Did you enjoy this project? Join me @perfectlydestressed to see all the other crap I've made!

Perfectly DeStressed

• Jo

How does it retain water if it's a cardboard backing? Won't it fall through?

• Diana Blessing

Succulents prefer drier soil. Anytime you plant them you want to make sure they have excellent drainage. Use a potting soil made for succulents that includes lots of perilite, sand, gravel and other minerals that help improve drainage and a container that has lots of holes for the water to get out of. So a cardboard back that let's the water just run right out is excellent for keeping their feet dry.

• Lana

How often do you water the plants? Will it ruin the backing?

• Marilyn Falcone

Misting succulents a few times a week is what I do. Overwatering them kills them..learned from experience!

• Kathie Lantz

instead of propping it up why not add legs to the frame?

• Joanie

I think it would look beautiful for a centerpiece with legs. I agree with legs.