Framed Succulent Planter

$35

Using chicken wire, an old frame, fresh succulents and sphagnum moss I created this one of a kind planter that can be hung or propped up to be displayed!

So cute and easy!

framed succulent planter

I prefer to buy my succulents and sphagnum moss at the local greenhouse. I feel that the plants are healthy and I am supporting local. But they are readily available at most stores with a garden section as well.

framed succulent planter

1. Take the back off of your frame.

2. Attach chicken wire to the inside edge using a staple gun.

framed succulent planter

3. After thoroughly soaking your sphagnum moss in water, squeeze it out and fill your open chicken-wire frame.

4. Attach a cut-to-size piece of plastic to hold the wet moss securely in place.

5. Reattach the back piece of the frame.

framed succulent planter

6. Slowly begin adding your succulents in the front, through the wire by first making a hole in the moss and carefully placing the roots of the succulent into the premade hole.

framed succulent planter

7. Secure each succulent to the chicken wire with a small strip of wire.

framed succulent planter

That's it! Hang or prop your Succulent Frame for display and enjoy!

Did you enjoy this project? Join me @perfectlydestressed to see all the other crap I've made!

Perfectly DeStressed

• Jo

How does it retain water if it's a cardboard backing? Won't it fall through?

• Lana

How often do you water the plants? Will it ruin the backing?

• Kathie Lantz

instead of propping it up why not add legs to the frame?

• Bob Schulenberg

Succulents are generally hot climate sunny-location plants. They store moisture because they live usually in somewhat arid climates. I’m assuming that these didn’t thrive in this situation with less light so may I suggest using artificial succulents. They are virtually indistinguishable from the real things and are inexpensive.

The benefits of not having to worry or care for them leaves nothing but your being able to enjoy this charming whimsical ensemble!

• Val

Great idea. I have a brown thumb but love plants. Thank you both for this ❤️

• Lovesunique

This is adorable. If anyone is worried about plants not surviving inside this idea would work in a patio setting. I like it sitting on a shelf or table; petite and cute like the succulents!