How to build a structure to block a neighbor's yard light?

+7

Hello, Have any of you ever built or had a structure built to block a neighbor's yard light from shining onto your property? Duke Energy installed new LED yard light bulbs in my neighborhood a few months ago. I will never want a yard light. The new bulb in my neighbor's yard light is 50 Lumens. I might as well be living in a shopping mall parking lot. My neighbor refuses to call Duke Energy to get a kit put on the light so that it only shines on his property or to get a less bright bulb which goes down to 25 Lumen. Duke Energy says I can not put anything on their poles. Any ideas on building something that would block the yard light?

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Jun 05, 2019

l hate that this is happening to you. My only thought is to call a local nursery and ask about fast growing trees and plant in that area to attempt to block the light. My husband had a man that he worked with that the same thing happened to him and that is what he did and he was very pleased. Will see if I can get a little more info for you.

• Dsouther Dsouther on Jun 05, 2019

Yes, I will try the trees. I wanted to build some kind of structure like a very tall basketball goal but my husband said no.

• William William on Jun 05, 2019

I agree with Tinyshoes. A fast growing tree, bush, plant to block the light.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 05, 2019

We had the same problem at a local picnic area but tree growth over a few years solved the situation. Would planting fast growing trees be an option?

• Dsouther Dsouther on Jun 05, 2019

Thank You. I will try the trees I wanted to build a very tall basketball back board but my husband said no.

• Mojo Mojo on Aug 18, 2020

I wanted a sort of spring action that would spring up from the fence at night and fasten down in the daylight, this is my own idea but I can tell in my minds eye that this would solve the problem although I would have to install at least three...I swear neighbors can be so obtuse as to think that their actions on these matters only concern themselves, it's really inconsiderate and selfish at once.

• Oliva Oliva on Aug 18, 2020

If these lights were installed as street lights, there is no recourse other than tall trees. Most municipalities are now installing LED lights of high intensity. Your Duke Energy light is more likely 50 watts, as 50 lumens would be very dim.

If you have some patience, look for Green Giant Arborvitaes. They are not bothered by deer. After one year, add some tree food spikes at the drip line, during the Fall. You'll be amazed at their height, the following year. After 3 years, they become very tall, which should eliminate your problem. Plant them in a staggered position rather than a straight line, for optimal blockage. Good luck!

• Mojo Mojo on Aug 25, 2020

Thank you for your suggestions, as when I visit in the more affluent neighborhoods I notice that they tend to be a little aware of each others concerns, I'm not only blaming the poor (us) but it occurs to me that it's one of those small things that enriches the entire community to not have the surrounding areas where one resides looking like a cheap strip mall and on top of that ironically, it makes it more dangerous as one can't see in front of themselves to step off the porch, take a walk, or even sit outside and it just seems obvious that the negatives outweigh the positives as to having some blaring light obscuring the night skies, it almost seems childish and even somewhat passive aggressive. PS. Sorry for rattling on and thank you for letting me vent. : ) Warm wishes.

• See 1 previous
    • Janie Canales Janie Canales on Oct 30, 2020

GOOD 4 U.🤣🤪😉👌🤭