Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
  • Tutorial Team
  • Longmont, CO

DIY Latch Hook Wreath

$5

The title of this may be a little misleading because there are no special tools for this wreath... I grew up loving latch hook anything... my Grandma had it all over her house and it was one of those things that I couldn't keep my hands off. Latch hook is one of those things that takes forever, so I'll warn you, this project does take a while, but it's totally worth it! This kind of crafting is therapeutic, so if you don't get it done in a day like I did, you can pull it out and work on it whenever you need some "me time". Plus - it's the perfect way to use up leftover yarn!

diy latch hook rug

For this wreath, I used different kinds of yarn and LOVE how it turned out. The thicker yarn fills up the wreath a lot faster and I used 5 or 6 pieces of the thinner yarn when tying the knots.

diy latch hook rug

Start cutting yarn. Decide how long you want your "shag" to look and cut the yarn twice as long.

diy latch hook rug

Tie a Larks Head Knot with the yarn on the wreath frame. Start working your way around the wreath. This is the part that takes a long time. This is the perfect craft to make while binge watching your favorite Netflix show!

diy latch hook rug

I filled the wreath as tightly as possible because I didn't want any tarn to loosen and fall off. The yarn on this wreath isn't going anywhere. Trim any loose pieces.

diy latch hook rug

This is what the back should look like.

diy latch hook rug

Is the wreath gorgeous or what? This might just be my most favorite wreath ever!

diy latch hook rug

My daughter kept rubbing her face and hands on it because it's so soft. I wish I could have an entire rug like this!

diy latch hook rug
diy latch hook rug

My wreath looks great next to the repurposed mailbox planter I made also!

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• Deborah Villanueva

What is a larks head knot?

• Sharon

Very cool looking. The knot is pretty much the same principle as the way the latch hook works when you are using the tool on the canvas.

• Mrs Snyder

hello and thanks for your response. I’ll make the knots by hand. I love the wreath

if I do a good job I’ll send you a pic. It’s going to take some time to complete it so wish me luck. Again many thanks

• Vicki Hopkins Adkins

Can't wait to try this with my granddaughter! She loves crafts of all kinds as do I. This will be a great project for us to do together. Thanks for the inspiration!