Decorate Your Mailbox for the 4th of July

$45

Living in the unique home of Celebration, Florida, better known as the town that Disney built, things go ALL-American here for Independence day. I deck out my porch, but don't want to leave my mailbox out of the mix. If you want to add some red, white and blue to your mailbox, you have found the right project here!

decorate your mailbox for the 4th of july

The first thing to do is get a length of cheap Christmas evergreen garland. You will want the kind of garland that has wire as the base for each of the little branches. If you don’t have this in your Christmas stuff, I know Hobby Lobby already has their Christmas items out. 

Take a section of 10″ wide red, white and blue deco mesh and starting at one end, gather it in loose loops and secure it in that way with the wired branches of the garland. 

In this close up you can see how I am twisting two of the little branches tightly around the deco mesh. Don’t tie them in a knot or you will not be able to undo it and use the garland for something different later. 

The next step is to add some patriotic ribbon. You can add this in the same way, looping it over the deco mesh and securing it in the same manner with the little wire branches.  Continue adding the ribbon down the length of the garland. Set this garland for the time being. 

The next step will be to craft the piece for the top of the mailbox. Using a cube of styrofoam cut 1/4 of it out as shown in the above photo. 

The next step is to be able to secure your decoration to the top of your mailbox. Using 4 buttons and a wire, thread the wire through a button. Pull the wire down through the foam and secure it on the inside of the “V” with the second button. 

This shows where on the piece of foam you are going to use. The ends of the wire will be twisted into a circle or loop so that you will have some way to attach this to your mailbox.

When you finish the arrangement on top of the foam, you will secure it to your mailbox like I show above. I used a white pipe cleaner so you could see it in this photo. You can use a wire that matches your mailbox color and also add ribbon to cover it if you would like later.

Begin the arrangement by cutting the blooms off of red and white bushes and some of the leaves. 

Here is my foam secured to my mailbox on my craft table. I began with geranium leaves, sticking them into the foam around the base of my foam. 

Using faux white hydrangeas, red geraniums, daisies and leaves to build up an arrangement in the foam. 

I added some blue sparkly picks, some little rolls of the deco mesh and a fun firecracker pick to finish up my arrangement. 

Wrap the garland around the mailbox post, securing it at the bottom and the top by twisting some of the wire branches together.

Secure your arrangement to the top of the mailbox and your mailbox is now the star of the street!!

Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Karen Durante

Oh my gosh - this is awesome! Wish I had a mailbox and house like yours!!

• Cheryl Markham

I used these very same materials to make a grapevine wreath!! Love this idea for your mailbox!