Asked on Jun 7, 2019

How to make a solution to get rid of stink bugs?

DeannaLinda (burlap+blue)Kathy Gunter Law
+1

what do you recommend for stink bugs. These bugs are super bionic. And stink to high heaven when touched or killed. Also beetles. They look like a lady bug but they are orange instead of red and they bite

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Veronica, I can't help with the stink bugs but where we're at in northern MN those fake lady bugs that bite are a real problem. I've found them to be strangely attracted to blue. A blue bowl filled with water and dish soap will attract them and kill them. Otherwise vacuuming them up once a day is a good way to deal with them.

• Kathy Gunter Law

They are horrible here to. If you are near farming, they release the beetles for crop pest control out of a helicopter. UGH!

Stink bugs things that have worked so far for me:

Lavender

Wet towel on the porch, lay at night and they will be attracted to it. In the morning, roll it up and put in a ziplock bag or other container, smash if you can stand it and the scent drives others away.

Soapy water in a spray bottle (but who wants that mess inside?)

Peppermint Oil Sprayed (also deters rodents)

I recently painted a room and used enamel paint on the trim. They didn't like that much and stayed away from that too.

Good Luck - please share if you find some thing else that works.

BTW: Don't suck them into a bagless vacuum cleaner unless you are ready to throw it away.