Jenni Ingram
Jenni Ingram
  • Wexford, PA

Update Your Kitchen Cabinets With Paint! Here's How...

$100
1 Week

My neighbor's kitchen is a builder grade oak kitchen from the late 80’s. It has great storage space and great lay-out, but it’s time for the orange-hued oak to go. I think hands down the least expensive and best way to redo your kitchen is to paint your cabinets. It’s a bit of work, but it makes an HUGE difference.

update your kitchen cabinets with paint here s how

The most important step in getting a lasting, durable finish on your kitchen cabinets is the prep work.

I know prep work is annoying, time consuming and the least fun part of the process, but if you don’t do it right, your paint will chip/peel off.

Clean all cabinets then set aside to dry.

So here’s how you do prep work right:

1. CLEAN THOSE CABINETS! To ensure painting success, you must remove the grease first! I used Krud Kutter and a scotch brite pad to remove as much as I could.
  2. SCUFF SAND. Not required, but I did go over the flat parts of the cabinets doors and boxes with 220 grit sandpaper. Just sand enough to ensure the paint will stick.
  3. CLEAN AGAIN. I used a TSP cleaning mixture and paper towels to clean off what was left. 

Once everything was dry, I primed the cabinets to be sure they didn’t yellow over time. I chose Dixie Belle BOSS primer because:

1. It’s water based (ie: not smelly).
  2. Could be sprayed. You can also use a good brush instead.
  3. I think it’s the best water-based stain blocker available.

Overall, the cabinets took 2 coats primer, 3 coats paint, and 1 coat top coat. Priming wasn't necessary on the darker gray island.

Watch me in action!

A little paint, and it now looks like a whole new kitchen!

Be sure to click the blog link  for more cabinet painting ideas.

Like this project? Follow me on Facebook to see my latest ideas and inspirations.

New to furniture painting? I can help!

Please grab my {FREE} Furniture 101 ebook here.

Jenni Ingram

• Deborah Anthony

I an halfway through my lotsa kitchen cabinets. They are the old oak veneer as well. I cleaned and painted inside and only the frames of the doors and did some different artwork inside the frames each cupboard door same color scheme but different designs. I am not sure but I think the Modge Podge clear glass finish will keep it from waring. What's your idea on the Modge Podge coating? If it works then the whole thing cost under $100.

• Shuganne

Please share pictures! Or write it up and share as a project. It sounds phenomenal!

• Bonnie

What did you do to hide the grain of the oak cabinets? I'm in the process of painting mine (just starting), and would prefer not to have the grain marks showing through. My paint store person said to use spackle ... yet another step in the process. Any thoughts?

• Robyn Garner

You might want to do a test area using homemade chalk paint with Plaster of Paris. At the right consistency, I'd think it would fill in with 2+ coats. Let us know!

You'll have to seal them well, especially for kitchen use. If you were looking to make them look shiny and super modern, just use a high gloss poly, sanding with a super high grit between coats.

• Margaret

Could you do this on veneer covered cabinets.