My DIY No Cost Large Planters From Pallets

$0

I wanted some larger planters for the yard and decided to DIY something. In contemplating lumber and what I wanted to do I remembered we had some old pallets! Bingo!

my diy no cost large planters from pallets

So I started by taking apart the pallets and getting the pallet boards ready to use.

Then I made 2 end panels like above.

I cut the end boards (legs) at 22" and the interior boards at 19", then I simply cut

a board to go across the top and bottom portion to screw them to and secure them.

Then I added a board across the top and bottom to make a box shape, and filled that in with more boards.

I went ahead and added a simple top, as well as a bottom on the inside to hold the dirt in. :0)

Next I chose to go ahead and paint them white.. however I really like the rustic look as well. (*I used a exterior fence/barn paint)

Here is a photo of them before/after paint..

(*I also chose to seal the interior of the planters as well as the underside/legs with poly)

The next thing I did was line the interior with heavy duty landscape fabric and my staple gun.

Then I just added my potting soil and planting my flowers.

Loving these! They are doing so well.

update pic: one month later
update pic: one month later

Here is a quick update photo of how they look after one month going through several spring storms.. so far I am really happy with them. (and the plants are doing great)

ClutteredCorkBoard

• Teri Congdon

these are really cool but I’m not sure how you keep from using more potting soil than you need to?

• Lisa

How is the white chalk paint holding up outside? Did you seal it? If so, what sealer did you use?

• ClutteredCorkBoard

Hi Lisa,

Actually I used a fence/barn paint that I had left from painting my garden fence. I did seal the interior as well as the underneath of the planters with poly. So far the paint is holding up great, and the plants are doing really well! I am real happy with them so far. Thanks for asking.

(I will add an updated picture)

• Lori Rouch

If i were to plant Succulents in it what kind of soil would i use?

• Rae-Lienne Porter

The best for succulents is the cactus blend. We used it for a wedding and they thrived in this medium!

• Annette

Very classy looking I love how you can take something old and make it look like new again. I do to like that rustic look but the white just brightens things up a bit. Thank you for sharing.

• Lori Gerrish

I love it

Looks awesome