My DIY No Cost Large Planters From Pallets

$0

I wanted some larger planters for the yard and decided to DIY something. In contemplating lumber and what I wanted to do I remembered we had some old pallets! Bingo!

So I started by taking apart the pallets and getting the pallet boards ready to use.

Then I made 2 end panels like above.

I cut the end boards (legs) at 22" and the interior boards at 19", then I simply cut

a board to go across the top and bottom portion to screw them to and secure them.

Then I added a board across the top and bottom to make a box shape, and filled that in with more boards.

I went ahead and added a simple top, as well as a bottom on the inside to hold the dirt in. :0)

Next I chose to go ahead and paint them white.. however I really like the rustic look as well. (*I used a exterior fence/barn paint)

Here is a photo of them before/after paint..

(*I also chose to seal the interior of the planters as well as the underside/legs with poly)

The next thing I did was line the interior with heavy duty landscape fabric and my staple gun.

Then I just added my potting soil and planting my flowers.

Loving these! They are doing so well.

update pic: one month later

Here is a quick update photo of how they look after one month going through several spring storms.. so far I am really happy with them. (and the plants are doing great)

update pic: approx 7 weeks later

Here is another quick update on how the planter/plants are doing.

I thought you would enjoy seeing the progress. Have a blessed day!

ClutteredCorkBoard

• Lisa

How is the white chalk paint holding up outside? Did you seal it? If so, what sealer did you use?

• ClutteredCorkBoard

Hi Lisa,

Actually I used a fence/barn paint that I had left from painting my garden fence. I did seal the interior as well as the underneath of the planters with poly. So far the paint is holding up great, and the plants are doing really well! I am real happy with them so far. Thanks for asking.

(I will add an updated picture)

• Lori Rouch

If i were to plant Succulents in it what kind of soil would i use?

• Rae-Lienne Porter

The best for succulents is the cactus blend. We used it for a wedding and they thrived in this medium!

• Tammy Mayer Novak

Can you tell me again what fertilizer you use and then the 2nd additive you used before planting your flowers and plants?

• ClutteredCorkBoard

I use espoma bio tone starter fertilizer, (helps the plants root in well) and I added Proven Winners slow release plant food as well. (I also use a water soluble fertilizer about once a week when watering my plants).

They are all listed and have links in my original blog post if that helps. Thanks for asking.

• Sassycoupleok

Great idea, simple to do and a very nice repurposing of old wood. THX for sharing.

• Bonnie

My brother made me one similar to this. I set a pot inside mine to keep it lighter and put wheels on the legs so I can roll it around to different places.