Homeroad
Homeroad
  • Huntington, NY

How to Make a Planter From an Old Stump

$5

This little garden planter couldn't have been easier to create and most of it was done by Mother Nature herself!

how to make a planter from an old stump

It all began with an old rotting stump we had on the property. It was too big to move and just sat there year after year. A few times I tried decorating it with a metal house number plaque but after a while even that didn't look good. 

I had another idea, how about if I use it as a planter? It was in a great spot already and goodness knows I can't move it anyway.

how to make a planter from an old stump

I grabbed a pointed trowel and started digging in the center of the stump. The stump was very rotted so it was easy to dig it out.

If the stump you have is not as soft as mine you can drill a hole in the center of the stump with a 1" drill bit. Then using a chisel and a hammer, knock out the center of the stump. It does help to have a stump that has begun to deteriorate. 

how to make a planter from an old stump

I grabbed my favorite Gerbera daisy and planted it in the hole with a little potting soil under it and around the edges.

how to make a planter from an old stump

I wish I had thought of this earlier, this stump has been here for years and years and just now looks like it belongs here. 

how to make a planter from an old stump

Now go outside and look for an old stump on your property and make it beautiful in minutes! 

Please visit this post by clicking on the GO BOX at the bottom of this post and see more DIY planter projects by searching PLANTER in the search box at the top of HOMEROAD.NET

how to make a planter from an old stump

Here it is about a month later. The Hosta have filled in and the daisy has bloomed over and over since the first day. I think it really likes it's new home. 

how to make a planter from an old stump

When the hole was large enough, I added a small amount of potting soil then planted a Gerbera daisy in the hole.

• Flower  (garden store)
  • Trowel  (garden store)

Homeroad