Step 2: Cut your foam to the size of your wood.
DIY Woven Leather Bench
Leather adds warmth and style to any room, so why not add a nice woven leather bench to your entryway to spruce up your space? It’s easy to make, comfortable, and (I might be biased) looks great! Who wouldn’t want that?? Alright, let’s start DIYing!
How to Make a DIY Woven Leather Bench
- Cut your wood to size (ours is 34″ long and 14.5″ deep), or have your local home improvement store cut the wood for you.
- Place your wood on top of your foam and trace the outline of the wood with a Sharpie. Cut two layers of foam for extra cushion (it’s actually really comfy when you use two layers).
- Use spray adhesive to attach the foam to the wood and again to attach the foam to the second layer of foam.
- Wrap your base fabric around the foam and wood and secure with staples.
- Cut your leather into strips. Your strips will be woven and will need to go from the bottom of the bench then around the foam to the other side. Add an additional 2-4″ to what you think you need to avoid cutting them too short to weave and staple. We made ours 1.5" wide.
- Use spray adhesive to attach a strip or two of spare leather around the sides of your bench. We added the extra leather strips so that none of the black fabric would show through on the sides or corners.
- Staple your leather strips to the bottom of your bench.
- Flip your bench over and lay out the long leather strips side by side. Weave the edge strip through the long leather strips on the short side.
- Weave the short strips of leather through the long strips, going over and under every other strip.
- Once you finish weaving, carefully flip your bench over and staple the strips to the backside.
- Cut excess base fabric and excess leather.
- Measure the bottom of your bench and cut your extra leather to cover most of the bottom of the bench for a cleaner look. Glue or staple the excess fabric to the bottom of the bench.
- Attach your legs. Since you might hide some staples and have to go through the fabric, I would recommend pre-drilling before trying to attach with screws.
You did it! You made an awesome leather bench that is stylish and comfy! Be sure to tag us on Instagram ( @craftedbythehunts) when you share a photo! For full details and extra tips, be sure to check out our full blog post at https://craftedbythehunts.com/diy-woven-leather-bench/.
Step 6: Use spray adhesive to attach extra leather strips to the sides of you bench. Be sure to wrap around the corners.
Step 9: Weave the short leather strips that are along the long side of the bench through the long leather strips.
Step 13: Attach the legs.
Top Hometalk Projects
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!Go