DIY Watercolor Mountain Wall

$30

After 7 years of living in North Carolina, I still missed seeing my Colorado mountains every day. But then one day it clicked. If I can’t have the mountains, I can make some! Flash forward a few hours and I created serene mountains right in the middle of our house! The wall is right next to our stairs, so once again, I get to see beautiful mountains every single day!

1. Tape up any trim and put a tarp down on the floor.
  2. Paint the whole wall with the lightest color you want to use.
  3. Use chalk to sketch out your design on the wall after the base coat has dried.
  4. Once you have the design sketched out, determine how many color variations you need based on the number of mountains you have.
  5. To create your paint colors, you can mix the lightest and darkest colors together in different ratios.
  6. Next, you need to add your water. I recommend mixing your paint and water in a separate cup than you created the color in.
  7. Grab your spray bottle and lightly mist the top section of the wall that you will be starting with.
  8. Lightly rub your sponge in a circular motion other the wall to create some movement. After creating the circular motion I like to go back and gently tap the sponge along the strokes to give it more of a sponge texture than a streaky texture.
  9. If you want the wall to look misty, lightly spray your wall a few more times after you finish painting.
  10. Continue your way down the mountain wall using a dark shade for each mountain.

Remember, walls like this are supposed to be abstract. Try to go outside the lines here and there and try your best not to fixate on making yours look exactly like mine or anyone else’s. Your wall will be uniquely beautiful if you finish it through to the end! I can’t wait to see your pictures–send them to me over on Instagram @craftedbythehunts.

Zoe Hunt

1 comment
  • Diane

Beautiful. If I only had the nerve!!

(insert singing from the Wizard of Oz if I only had a brain)