Turn Strainers Into Tiered Stand Storage

$3

For me tiered stands are one of the most useful storage solutions because they can be made out of so many different things, which means they can be used in so many different ways.

Today, I'm sharing how easy it is to create a diy tiered stand using just three thrift store items and a few simple tools.

They are two 50 cent metal strainers, one a little smaller than the other, and a $1 wooden countertop paper towel holder.

A paper towel holder like this is perfect for a diy tiered stand project because it unscrews from its base.

The first thing I did was spray paint the paper towel holder white.

Then I taped off the handles of both strainers before spray painting them pink. I wanted to keep the silver of the handles, but you could spray paint them too if you like.

Then I sawed off the top knobby part of the paper towel holder. I'm not using it in this project so it'll be saved in my stash for another day.

The paper towel holder base fit right inside the bottom of my strainer.

This is super important so you have no problem screwing the paper towel holder together through the bottom of the strainer.

If the bottom doesn't fit then the top part won't reach the base to screw in properly.

If you have to enlarge the hole in the strainer you can do that easily with a hammer and a nail.

After screwing the paper towel holder through the strainer I marked the center at the top.

And again I just used a good size nail and a hammer to make a start hole for a screw.

And I screwed on the top strainer.

I just used a lone screw that I found in my tool box among many other lone screws.

Here's the finished tiered stand in my craft room holding all my crafting twines. This is really a simple way to get some extra storage and it looks great too.

For more tips and photos for this project check our my Repurposed Strainers Tiered Stand post here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Mgwouden

Would it work for storing fruits or vegetables 🌽 in it?

• Diane Krzysik Gonzalez

Love this idea. I’m sure you’ve done many of these. Wondering if you ever tried doing it and removing the handles?? I’m assuming they’re screwed on and could be removed easily...just curious.

• Eliza Spear

On mine they are welded in place so removing them likely not an option

• Gert Domber

YES, VERY CLEVER, BUT I WILL USE IT FOR FRUIT, OR

POTATOES AND ONIONS ?