Lindsay Eidahl
Lindsay Eidahl
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

Painted Brick Room Makeover In Our Flip House

$2500
1 Month

The brick room makeover in our fourth flip house is one of my favorites to date. When you are working in a space that hasn’t been taken care of or updated in years, it is easy to breathe new life into it with cleaning alone, but I knew this room had so much potential so I couldn’t wait to get after it once the cleaning was done.

painted brick room makeover in our flip house

The photo above was taken after we cleaned everything out of the room. The family we bought the house from left a lot of items in the house. This was what was left after we got the bigger items out. You can tell that this room needed a good cleaning and some updating. The curtains were hiding a sliding door and two, good-sized windows. All that natural light was hidden behind the old, heavy curtains. I knew this room would be my favorite once we got it done. 

I wanted to paint the brick wall in the space and I wanted to do it while we were cleaning things out of the room. I couldn’t wait to get some paint on that brick wall!

I thought I would paint it white to brighten the room, but then, I had a change of heart and went totally different on the brick wall.

I chose the color “Caviar” from Dixie Belle Paint. It is the perfect shade. I was obsessed once we got it done. While I was painting the brick wall, Matt painted the rest of the paneled walls in the room a bright white. Yes, you can paint paneling and it turns out amazing! I wrote all about our first experience doing it and what we learned in the post  HERE

After all the painting was finished, we replaced the windows. With the new windows, the sliding door and the bright white walls, the natural light shines in this room beautifully. It is a happy space again. We also added a new ceiling fan and painted the heating unit in the room. We have had many people go through the flip house that saw it when we first bought it. They can’t believe the difference we have made in such a short amount of time. We can’t either. This home has been one of my favorites to work in and I am so excited about the outcome. 

The last thing we had to do to the brick room before we could call it “done”, was the carpet. When we are to the point of adding new flooring or carpet in our flip houses, I get so happy because I know we are nearing the end. It is one of the last things we do in the houses.  

This flip house SOLD in a little over a week on the market! The new home owner loves everything we did and she can't wait to move in. To see more of this project, head to my blog at: https://mycreativedays.porch.com/brick-room-makeover-in-flip-house/

Lindsay Eidahl

• Heidid64
    Yesterday

Love the dark brick wall. Quick question....did you do anything to prep the brick before painting it?

• Lindsay Eidahl
      Yesterday

We cleaned it. Dixie Belle Paint is amazing!!! You don't need a lot of prep. I love it!

• Gail
    Yesterday

Beautiful. I love carpet, but of all places I would have done a laminate in soft gray and used an area rug. That room is ground level and comes in straight off the patio. I have to ask if its just cheaper to do carpet or if you had specific reason???

• Lindsay Eidahl
      12 minutes ago

Because it is going to be a cozy spot for watching TV and family time and the new home owner loved it!

• Annie Thomas
    Yesterday

? The window replacement is a “shed window”?

• Annie Thomas
      16 hours ago

No, I clicked on the information tab to the window on the website this dyi was posted to. It took me to Amazon and to a particular window advertised as a ‘shed’ window. It is single pane, no tempered glass used in, yes, sheds. So as this was on the dyi site, was this the window used to replace the window in your project?

• Patsy47
    14 hours ago

yes, painting panelling is easy...its just another wall surface. clean it, sand if necessary, prime and then a couple of coats of paint....tedious, but very doable....cheers.

• Krafty Mrs.K
    31 minutes ago

I am not a fan of painted brick and didn't like the black wall at first. It would absorb heat if in direct sun. But when I explored your blog and saw the rest of the house the black wall makes perfect sense. It flows with the black cabinets in the kitchen with grey tile. That tile would have been great throughout both spaces. A big screen TV won't stick out on that dark wall. It will be a contrasting backdrop for bright artwork or furniture.