Lindsay Eidahl
Lindsay Eidahl
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

Dungeon Basement Bathroom Makeover For $216

$216
1 Month

When we bought this flip house, the basement bathroom was this scary, dirty room. It has not been used in years and was so dark and dingy, the kids and I didn’t want to have any part of it. We started working on the rest of the house until I could get my mind wrapped around this space.

dungeon basement bathroom makeover for 216

The entire bathroom was painted black. The accordion door didn’t work. There was a weird bookshelf built into the entry and the shower was a cave. 

Once it was time to work on this bathroom, Matt and I started talking about what paint alone can do to the space. If we could clean it up and paint the room, it will be a space people will not be scared to use. 

So, Matt volunteered to clean the bathroom and tackle all of the cobwebs from years of not being used.

After the cleaning and the cobwebs, I removed all the tiles off the floor. Then, it was time for paint. We tried the (aff)  Wagner Control Pro 130 Power Tank Paint Sprayer in this bathroom and can’t sing its praises enough. Matt said that it will be the sprayer he will reach for when we have a larger project like this. 

We chose the color “Fog” by Dutch Boy Paints which we lightened by 50% for the bathroom. I wanted a light and bright color, but didn’t want white. We rolled a sealant inside all of the shower before the paint. We used exterior paint in the shower. 

Even though the shower was painted and looked a lot better, I still wanted to find a way to make the floor of the shower warmer and more inviting. We found that solution when we were shopping at Menards Home Improvement one day. Find the details on that project  HERE. 

We added a new shower head, shower curtain, rod and rings to complete the shower. We also hung two hooks on a scrap piece of wood on the outside of the shower. 

We have a stash of products that we can use on projects in our garage. When we were doing the bathroom, I went through that stash and was able to come up with hooks, a toilet paper holder, a towel rod, a mirror and a shelf that we could use in the basement bathroom. I spray painted them all black to match the color scheme in the makeover. 

I loved the vintage sink and medicine cabinet that were in the bathroom when we bought it. I just had to clean those up and Matt had to replace a piece of the pipe on the sink. We added a new toilet and I bought some new towels to dress up the bathroom when we show it. 

The rug was a great addition. I had it in our laundry room at our house. 

This bathroom has come a long way from when we bought the house. If you want to see where the entire $216 was spent and more links to items we used, head to my blog post here: https://mycreativedays.porch.com/basement-bathroom-makeover-for-216-in-flip-house/

Lindsay Eidahl

• Meem Kaplan
    Yesterday

Holy Cow!!!! What a difference. Glad it now looks better than the horror it was!

• Amazing make over. You're right about the dungeon. How'd it even get like that?

• Lindsay Eidahl
      Yesterday

We bought the flip house from the original owner. The lady had passed away and hadn't been in the basement for years. It just wasn't taken care of.