Asked on Jun 10, 2019

How do I best preserve this set?

WilliamLindaMogie
+4

I found this bedroom set at habitat restore and loved it. It goes good with my twins conversion cribs and the theme of the room. I'm wondering what's the best way to keep it from getting messed up even more than it already is. the drawer fronts are pressboard and I don't want to refinish. it's got a few some bigger nicks in it but it's got a few little pieces here and there aren't that bad but I was thinking of trying to put some colored craft paint in those big holes and then paint it with Minwax water-based poly acrylic which is what I have on hand. I am hoping that will seal the paint and seal the pressboard like edges that are starting to want to flake off a little bit on the edge of the drawers. The other problem it has is the tops are covered with what reminds me of old kitchen laminate and it's white and one corner is broke off on the nightstand and I'm wondering how I can fix that without redoing the whole thing because I don't really know how and I kind a like the top for them all match Took pictures that I want to put in here but I can't figure how to get them in.

For the nicks and scratches use Minwax stain markers. Get one as close to the color. For deep holes use Minwax wood putty. For shallow holes use Minwax Blend Fil pencils. Craft paint won't harden as well and may pop out. For the top use Bondo (auto body filler) for the corner. May take a few layers. Roughly form it as you rebuild. Once hard you can sand it to final form. Then use craft paint to color it. Then use three coats of the Minwax polycrylic to seal it.

• Loralee

Thanks I was trying to do it with what I had on hand I didn't really want to go buy a thing of Bondow because it's a one tiny corner I have some Elmers wood putty and I was wondering if that would work the same as the Minwax or the Bondow

• Mogie

I got a set of furniture makers. They are regular markers but in various shades of different wood stains. They work very well. I believe I got this at the dollar store a few years ago.

• Linda

I know you’re thinking of not refinishing it but what do you think about paining it? My niece recently chalk painted a piece of furniture that sounds similar to yours and it came out beautiful and is holding up very well

Elmer's wood putty will fill holes and gouges but would not work on a broken corner. It would just break off. What you can try is to drill some small holes into the corner and force the Elmer's into the holes forming the corner. May just work.

• Loralee

Ok thanks it's not the whole corner side it's just a piece of the veneer is chipped off on the corner of the thing it's not even about the size of a quarter in the picture you can see it but I can't figure out how to get the pictures on here I really appreciate the help

AAAH! Just a chip off the surface. Elmer's will work out perfect to patch.