Nazca
Nazca
  • Morrisville, NC
Asked on Jun 10, 2019

How to repair kitchen cabinet that has water damage?

EloiseCynthia HLinda
+2

when we bought our home, we notice that the cabinet under the sink has water damage, we think that water drip when washing dishes, the finish is gone. The upper cabinets are like new

Is this inside the sink cabinet? You cut out the cabinet floor and replace with plywood.

• Linda

Here is a YouTube video that might help. https://youtu.be/xtX6xXShlqk

• Cynthia H

A couple of inexpensive fixes I've used over the years was vinyl floor tile attached to the damaged floor of a cabinet, contact paper. Before trying any fix, make sure you don't have a loose fitting or other leak under the sink. How to check? Place a dishpan or plastic storage under the piping and drains and check every day under the sink after normal use. Within a few days you will know if you have an ongoing problem. I once had a teeny, tiny leak under a sink, and I couldn't see or feel a leak when water was being used, no matter how carefully I checked. Put a large plastic bin under the sink and quickly found dirty water within an hour after use. It was a tiny crack in the wastewater line, that was causing the damage. The repair ended my aggravation and no more damage. So make sure there isn't a current problem. Good luck!

• Eloise

I had a similar problem with the face of the cabinet doors under the kitchen sink. My solution was to sand them down to remove most of the discoloration and then stain them. Because I was unable to remove all of the discoloration, the cabinets are just a shade or so darker than the cabinets above the sink, but it's noticeable only to me. This is a bit labor intensive, but so worth it. Hope this helps!