Dutch Master Upcycled Floral Tray Table

$5

I love the current interiors trend for floral prints especially those on a dark background. Many of these lovely still life flower paintings that you see on gallery walls are prints from the 17th-century Dutch masters.

I curated a collection of these lovely floral paintings but instead of just printing them out and putting them on my walls. I also used one of the floral images to make a fabulous upcycled tray table for my cocktail drinks.

I have some amazing free vintage botanical posters (see here) on my site that also would look great with this upcycle

I already had an old battered tray that had been left out in the garden and needed a new lease of life.

In my collection of junk I also had a four old extra large wooden thread spools. I thought they would make fabulous legs.

To brighten up the tray and the legs I spray painted the a bright yellow.

Next, I picked a still life flower painting from the collection I curated. (They are free to download on the blog link at the end). I put this into a round frame the size of the tray and printed it out. You can also print this from my blog.

Next I carefully cut out the round picture.

I applied decoupage glue (Mod Podge) to both the top of the tray and the back of the flower image.

I then stuck the flower painting to the tray. Using a napkin wrapped in cling film (plastic wrap) I then squeezed out any air bubbles to the edge of the tray.

To help the picture lie flat to the raised edge of the tray, I snipped the edges every couple of inches.

The tray then was sealed with a varnish. This was to make it waterproof from any drink spillages.

The final part of this upcycle was gluing the legs to the base of the tray. I used Gorilla Glue adhesive for this.

I love how the little tray table turned out. Visit the blog for more photos and detail.

It's perfect for cocktails in the garden. I have loads of other images that would also look fabulous on a tray table. Such as vintage parrot paintings which you can download for free here.

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Claire Armstrong