Customizable Accent & Throw Pillows

$8

Have you ever had left over fabric from a project or just wanted several different sized throw pillows? What about a tiny pillow for styling your tiered trays? Today I’ll show you how easy it is to make your own and have exactly what you want instead of hunting through stores, trying to find something that might work.

customizable accent throw pillows

First thing I do is look at my left over scraps of fabric to see if there’s something I can use. If I don’t have what I’m looking for I head to my local craft/fabric store. Joanne’s usually has a remnants rack with discounted fabric. That is where I find most of my throw pillow fabric.

Next I gather all my supplies and determine what size and shape my pillow needs to be. I like to mix up squares and rectangles of varying sizes.

Once the size is determined I cut the fabric and then place the fabric with right sides together.

customizable accent throw pillows

I like to pin my fabric in place so as to avoid any slipage or puckering in the material.

This project can be sewn by hand but is much easier and quicker with a machine.

customizable accent throw pillows

Leaving a 1/4” seam allowance. Start straight stitch sewing in the middle of one side. And sew around all the edges until you make it back to the side you began on.

Tip: a zigzag stitch may be used as well, once turned right side out generally the stitches will show through and give an antiques look to the pillows.

customizable accent throw pillows

Make sure you leave an opening on the side you began on. Depending on the size of your pillow will depend on the width of the hole you need to leave. This gives easy access to turning the fabric rightside out.

customizable accent throw pillows

I like to trim the corners off (the triangle) so when it’s turned right side out the corners aren’t so bulky.

Tip: be careful not to snip your thread as this will cause a hole in the seam.

customizable accent throw pillows

Once your fabric is turned right side out, I like to take a pencil (eraser end) or a pen (capped end) and gently poke them into each corner. This help define the corners.

customizable accent throw pillows

Then find your opening. And start stuffing your pillow. Pulling the stuffing out of the standard pillow in shreds if it’s a tiny pillow or chunks if it’s a larger pillow.

Tip: stuff the corners first, then bottom to top.

customizable accent throw pillows

A friend taught me a trick many years ago. She said to use the stuffing from a standard sized bed pillow as it is cheaper than buying stuffing material. Most of my pillows do not fit any of the standard pillow forms available. That is why I use this method. Simply cut open the top and you are ready to start stuffing.

Once the decorative pillow is stuffed the way you like it, use your craft needle and thread to stitch up the opening.

customizable accent throw pillows

Then you have a tiny sized pillow to style your buffet top or tiered trays with.

customizable accent throw pillows

Or an oversized rectangle pillow that can be the focal point of your chair or couch.

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByjNGlxHZ4k/?igshid=xp1em9iammbf

• What can you do with antique lamp bases such as these?

• I think there’s many different possibilities and that it depends on the look you are going for in the room you’ll be placing them in. If you love how they are right now, I’d head to your local home improvement store and see if you can find lamp shades for them. If you only like the “lines” (outline/silhouette) and are looking to change them up...grab a color of spray paint that matches your decor and paint them. If you are using them strictly as conversation pieces and won’t be using them as a lamp at all I would start finding other pieces that you could create a vignette with and style out a tabletop or mantle with them. Hope this helps 😊.

• Wendy

These are so sweet! I never even thought to use a pillow as table decor, love it.