Deanna
Deanna
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Lombard, IL
Asked on Jun 11, 2019

How to protect strawberries?

DeannaEmCindy Hagemann
+2

I've got straw down in my strawberry garden to keep

the berries from getting dirty but there are small worms

sitting on the berries and eating away.

I've tried in the past using that nylon stuffing but

even though that worked it was a mess because it stuck to everything.

I've been trying to think of something else to use to hold up

all those berries but still be able to handle the weather.

Does anyone out here have some ideas?

• Cheryl Gillman

You can try using a home made spray on your plants, garlic or hot peppers and water sprayed on the plants. It should deter any insects

You can also use Epsom salts, you can make a spray by dissolving the Epsom salt in water, spray it on the plants and around the base every 2 weeks (as a bonus it's also a great fertilizer!)

Or you can just put the Epsom salt directly onto the soil around the plant and it will deter bugs

• Cindy Hagemann

I use Seven Dust on mine

• Em

You should not use Sevin or any other chemical pesticide on your vegetables unless you feel there is a clear need. Store Sevin in its original container and out of the way of children and pets. When you use it, wear waterproof gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, shoes with socks and chemical-resistant headwear. Overexposure can cause a range of symptoms, including blurred vision, breathing difficulty, abdominal cramps, muscle tremors, diarrhea and vomiting. More serious complications range from convulsions and unconsciousness to respiratory failure.

If you get Sevin on your skin or in your eyes or if you inhale or swallow it, call a poison control center or doctor immediately. Have the product container or label with you when you call. Sevin kills bees, so do not spray it on vegetables that are surrounded by blooming plants.

• Cheryl Gillman

I have noticed SO many people suggesting the use of sevin, thankyou for commenting all this info about it!! Especially about it being harmful to bees!!

I've tried commenting on any I see to pass along the info you shared!

• Deanna

Thanks Cheryl I use Epsom salt for fertilizer so I'll try sprinkling some around.

Em I don't believe in using any chemicals in my garden either!