How often do tomato plants need watering in a summer climate?

+4

How often do tomato plants need watering in a summer climate at the moment?

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jun 11, 2019

Full sized tomato plants can require as much as a gallon of water a day if exposed to 6-8 hours of sun a day as needed. But, at least water every day whether through rain or watering. If they are in a pot - put a tray underneath so they can soak up excess water on their own.

• Diane Coverdale Diane Coverdale on Jun 11, 2019

Watering would be dependent on your present weather. Is it cool and damp: the maybe every other day or daily. If you're lucky with sun and heat, definately daily or maybe twice daily. Make sure that the plant itself has time to dry up as you don't it to get mildewy.

• Eleni Mourtzakis Eleni Mourtzakis on Jun 11, 2019

Looks as if daily watering according to your advice would do the job. Thank You Dianne for youre help.

• Gk Gk on Jun 11, 2019

Make sure you don't water over the top of your plants. Water at the bottom and try not to get all the leaves wet. I water my plants in raised beds about every 2-3 days unless there is rain.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/watering-tomato-plants.html

• Depends on your climate. Where I live in zone 9 where it is scorching hot with extremely low humidity and no natural rainfall, mine get watered twice a day. A good soak in the morning, and a perk me up watering in the early evening. Since it is so dry, I don't have to worry about mold or mildew.