Simple Tomato Cage Bird Bath

$16

For a long time I've wanted a bird bath in my garden but didn't want to spend a lot of money buying one. I finally solved that problem with a frugal DIY solution that only needed a couple of supplies: a tomato cage and a flower pot saucer!

simple tomato cage bird bath

I was able to purchase both of these items at my local home improvement store for less than $6 total. I used a 33" tomato cage and a 12" poly saucer.

simple tomato cage bird bath

To spruce up my bird bath just a little bit, I gave the saucer a light coat of a spray paint that gives it a stone-like look and texture. This step isn't absolutely necessary and adds a little bit more to the cost, but it does add a nice touch!

simple tomato cage bird bath

To assemble your tomato cage bird bath, simply stick the tomato cage in the ground, pushing it in far enough so that the first ring of the cage is as close to the ground as possible to help add stability. Then place your saucer on the top ring. I used a level to make sure I had things as straight as possible.

simple tomato cage bird bath

Then all that's left to do is add about an inch of water. Water in bird baths should be kept shallow, and it's good to clean your bird bath regularly and add new fresh water.

I've always enjoyed making my own homemade birdseed cakes for the birds and I hope they enjoy their new homemade bird bath too!

You can visit my blog for the more detailed and printable tomato cage bird bath instructions or you can use the "GO" option below.

Bev @ The Make Your Own Zone

• GMS

just curious, do you see birds go to it? Was just wondering because most bird baths are ceramic or concrete - need to find something to replace a top of one that broke and if birds flock to it may try this

• Cheryl

I have a couple concrete birdbaths and I have a couple, as above. The birds do use both. I, however, fill mine up, with water. I put some rocks in them, for the smaller birds to sit on.

• Judith

Remember tomato cages come in colors too. Do you think the paint may have a negative affect on the birds? Maybe a terracotta saucer would work too. No paint that way. Great idea. Thanks.

• Mary
    Yesterday

Wonderful idea! I have been looking at the glass top bird baths that are in the stores, but I'm sure a gust of wind would knock them over and then I'd see a broken glass bird bath on the ground. I am going to try your idea... thank you!

• Kyralee
    31 minutes ago

I used one of these to make a butterfly feeder a few years ago. You can put a sugar water in the basin with some of those colorful nylon dish scrubbies for them to land or rocks.