Simple Tomato Cage Bird Bath

$16

For a long time I've wanted a bird bath in my garden but didn't want to spend a lot of money buying one. I finally solved that problem with a frugal DIY solution that only needed a couple of supplies: a tomato cage and a flower pot saucer!

I was able to purchase both of these items at my local home improvement store for less than $6 total. I used a 33" tomato cage and a 12" poly saucer.

To spruce up my bird bath just a little bit, I gave the saucer a light coat of a spray paint that gives it a stone-like look and texture. This step isn't absolutely necessary and adds a little bit more to the cost, but it does add a nice touch!

To assemble your tomato cage bird bath, simply stick the tomato cage in the ground, pushing it in far enough so that the first ring of the cage is as close to the ground as possible to help add stability. Then place your saucer on the top ring. I used a level to make sure I had things as straight as possible.

Then all that's left to do is add about an inch of water. Water in bird baths should be kept shallow, and it's good to clean your bird bath regularly and add new fresh water.

I've always enjoyed making my own homemade birdseed cakes for the birds and I hope they enjoy their new homemade bird bath too!

You can visit my blog for the more detailed and printable tomato cage bird bath instructions or you can use the "GO" option below.

Bev @ The Make Your Own Zone

• Judith

Remember tomato cages come in colors too. Do you think the paint may have a negative affect on the birds? Maybe a terracotta saucer would work too. No paint that way. Great idea. Thanks.

• Robyn Garner

I've got a birdbath in my side garden where most of the birds fly through. I've never, ever seen one visit the bath. Any thoughts???

• Robyn Garner

Gabrelle Falk I didn't know they would not want it near bushes where they visit. I'll move it today! Thank you!

• Wanda sinnema

Has the stone finish come off ? I used that paint on resin flower pots and it didn't stick.. Season 2 it flaked off badly.. The pots I used had a bit of texture..I think I should have sanded them a bit for more grip..

• Linda

If this paint could flake it would be very hazardous to the birds

• Kyralee

I used one of these to make a butterfly feeder a few years ago. You can put a sugar water in the basin with some of those colorful nylon dish scrubbies for them to land or rocks.

• G52moore

I like it! I took my pretty stained glass acrylic out for it's 3rd season the other night, filled it up and sure enough it was tipped over and broke into half a dozen pieces. I still have the wrought iron stand and I may try something like this to cool off the birds.