Bicycle Garden Art

$50.

Old bicycles are a fun addition to the garden! But here's a way to take the artistic-ness to a whole new level with some other items you probably have laying around. Bonus...this garden art doesn't even need a garden!

Here's a fun, unique, easy way to elevate an old vintage bicycle to garden art status!

Start with a good scrubbing. A soapy SOS or Brillo pad works well to clean up the grease and grime from many years of use. Rinse with hot water and dry.

Give your bike a subtle sheen by brushing it lightly with outdoor polyurethane. The colors will pop and the rust will be sealed in. I even gave the seat a layer!

Because this bike is going from function to art, it doesn't need it's brake wires anymore. They're also not the prettiest things. Clip the wires off at the handles and by the wheels with a wire cutter.

Now to start the prettying up! Wire a basket onto the handles of the bicycle. Line it with a cocoa liner and plant with your favorite flowers. Make sure you choose shade or sun flowers depending on where your bicycle art will be located.

For added garden flair, tie vintage garden tools to the wheel spokes in a circular pattern. I tied these on with green twine and had all the handles to the inside. Add faux or real foliage, if desired.

If your bicycle has a rack in back, add an old toolbox and fill with clay pots or plants.

Hang it up:

If you don't want to simply park your bike in the garden, why not elevate your work of vintage garden art to the deck or patio wall? With a couple of strong hooks and some rope, your vintage bicycle garden art can become true art by hanging it. It also won't take up any square feet and will provide plenty of great comments!

You can also use your vintage bicycle garden art to display a cute sign or saying. I tied on this free printable I have available on my blog post, welcoming summertime! I'd love if you popped over to grab one for yourself and check out my other repurposed vintage inspiration!

Hanging a vintage bicycle definitely takes garden art to a whole new level! Or maybe it's a good example of vertical gardening? It's a fun way to enjoy pretty flowers and your great vintage finds! Visit my blog to grab a free "It's Summertime" vintage bicycle printable if you love vintage finds and decorating too!

Lora Bloomquist