Marie
Marie
Asked on Jun 11, 2019

How to finish my painted dining room table?

Pat Rios | The Wood SpaKathy Gunter LawLinda Sikut
+2

I painted my dining room table with a wood graining tool. I am at the point where I need to polyurethane the table. What is the best way to finish the table? Since it is for the dining room is there a food safe finish that I need to use? How many coats should I use?When I painted polyurethane over the breakfast nook table that I finished with Unicorn Spit the color became dulled and mottled. For the Unicorn Spit finished chairs I spayed on the polyurethane and the colors stayed vibrant.

• Linda

Here is a video on polyurethaning a dining table. I hope this helps. https://youtu.be/Lj13bTlhYqQ

Three coats of a water based polyurethane. I like to use a foam brush. Self leveling, no brush marks, does not yellow.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Marie,

I've been told that most sealers are food safe once they have cured. The problem with polyurethane is that it tends to yellow over time. If you don't want the yellowing, get the water-based version and add an extra coat for durability. Wishing you the best.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I used 3 coats of water based polyurethane on my dining table. Between each coat, lightly scuff with fine steel wool and wipe down. This will help the layers to adhere.

• Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

I agree with the polyurethane solution. If it is a dark color, no need to worry about yellowing over time, but if it's a light color, use water based poly. Varathane (Home Depot) is my favorite. They have different sheens. Flat, Satin and Gloss. Good luck!