Lora Bloomquist
Lora Bloomquist
  • Maple Plain, MN

Croquet Candlestick

$25

Old mismatched croquet mallets can easily be repurposed and upcycled into a unique outdoor accessory, when you combine them with a flower pot. With a citronella candle, these croquet candlesticks are perfect for the garden or the beach!

croquet candlestick

Gather old, mismatched croquet mallets at secondhand sales or junk piles. Small sized clay pots or plastic pots work well for this upcycle. Coordinate craft paint colors to stripes on handles.

croquet candlestick

Separate the handle from the hammer of the croquet mallet. Cut one end of the stick flat and the other tapered. Keep the brighter colored striped end at the top, where you cut it flat.

croquet candlestick

Paint flower pots in matching colors to the stripe on the croquet mallet. Using screws and washers, attach flower pots to pre-drilled croquet stick.

croquet candlestick

Fill flower pots with sand, beach glass or pebbles and a citronella or regular votive candle. Stick in container flower pots or sand. Visit my full blog post for more pictures, repurposing and DIY ideas!

croquet candlestick

You'll want to make a whole collection of these brightly colored Repurposed Croquet Candlesticks; they're easy and fun!

Lora Bloomquist

• Lynn Arnes Crist

Do you have problems with the pots holding water after a rain or are these sheltered? If they are not sheltered may want to consider a drain hole of some sort.

• Lora Bloomquist

You're right, Lynn, the pots will hold water if they're not sheltered. I just pull them out of the dirt and dump it and stick it back in. Sometimes I have them under an awning or the porch so they don't get water in them.

• Val

Very nifty. What did you do with the mallet portion of the croquet mallets? I was thinking that you could drill out the hole on top, make it larger and drill a small hole clean through for drainage and plant a tiny succulent plant in it or an air plant. Or forget the drainage hole and put a fake plant in it.

• Lora Bloomquist

Great idea, Val. Succulents make anything awesome! I have an idea brewing in my head...just haven't had time to make it yet. I'm hoping next week! Keep an eye out here, or subscribe to my blog if you don't want to miss it. Here's a hint...you'll need a good handfull of the mallet heads for this project, and it also involves grass;)

• Deborah

Where is the picture of the entire finished project? I see the croquet sticks, then 1/2 of each pot. I want to see the entire finished project.

• Lora Bloomquist

Go to my blog, Lorabloomquist.com for more pics than are here. Put croquet candlesticks I need the search bar, or look under "projects". Hope that's helps!