How to Make a Coffee Table Glamorous Using Glass Mosaic Tiles

$16

This was a project to use up some mosaic tiles I had laying around and to bring new life into a tired mid century table. As pretty as it was it didn’t suit my taste and wanted the table to have a glamorous personality and so the transformation begins!

Table before transformation
Table before transformation

I begin by covering the table top with pva glue and plain paper to help make the design process easier to plan. It also helps tiles to adhere to a Matt surface.

Glue paper to table top
Glue paper to table top

Deciding on the colour palette and which size tiles is a challenge but I try and keep it simple with Black white pink and yellow. I use a variety of sizes that I have left over from other projects but you can choose those that you feel work a balance to your design.

Choosing varied tiles and colour palette

I find the easiest way to work with a coffee table is to start on the outside border edge and work the design inwards. It helps keep spacing even and acts as guide for the whole design to keep straight as possible.

Laying mosaic tiles down from thoutside edge

I continue to alternate the colours in black, pink white & yellow using PVA glue directly onto the paper and placing tiles onto the glue. I find this is easiest cleanest most efficient way to mosaic.

Mosaic tiles placed evenly spaced
Mosaic tiles placed evenly spaced

The design begins to take shape and I keep it simple and do not cut tiles. The corners are best tackled by having tiles fanned out slightly to keep evenly spaced And neat

Laying the mosaic glass tiles
Laying the mosaic glass tiles

It takes quite a few minutes for tiles to stick firmly which is useful if you need to reposition tiles.

Designing and repositioning tiles
Designing and repositioning tiles

I keep looking at what will bring a cohesive colour balance and change my mind a few times till I’m happy. Its always good to step away from your project and come back later and look at from distance too as well as with fresh eyes.

Working on centre of mosaic
Working on centre of mosaic

The last few pieces are a challenge and it is important part to lay down and test spacing etc without glue so you are sure before it all fits well!

Last few pieces to fit in!
Last few pieces to fit in!

After making sure design is dry and stuck well over night I tackle the grouting stage which is the messy but fun reveal part!

Grouting the table
Grouting the table

I choose black grout and use the ready mixed type as I find it easier than messing about trying to mix powdered grout powder and the get right consistency. Although often it works out quite a bit cheaper to mix your own.

I use an old credit card to get into the grooves and spread easily.

Use an old credit card to spread grout
Use an old credit card to spread grout

I continue all over working the grout back and forth into all crevices and edges and it takes about 15 mins to finish.

Using a warm damp cloth to wipe off excess gr

I use a warm damp cloth to clean off excess grout and clean and finish the tiles so tidy and no clogged areas or gaps.

Then using wet wipes to do final clean over.

super happy with Glamorous Coffee table now!

Glamorous coffee table revealed!
Glamorous coffee table revealed!
Glamorous coffee table makeover
Glamorous coffee table makeover
Glamorous coffee table makeover
Glamorous coffee table makeover

• Liz

Beautiful results!! Did you not find it necessary to seal your table with a clear outdoor sealant? I've found that grout is not impervious to water damage.

• Susan Goode

Yes good point I haven’t Sealed this table additionally but mine is under a covered area so not directly with rain etc