Asked on Jun 12, 2019

How to makeover a headboard?

DeeFlipturnWilliam
+3

I'm thinking of doing something to our boring IKEA headboard and frame. I've thought of painting it gold, or another colour with gold. The paint I found is from a craft store and is a vintage chalk matte gold (haven't purchased it yet). Questions-1. Would this colour be ok for a bed frame? I can't quite tell what it would look like. 2. is it possible to do this makeover without taking the mattress off the bed? 3. What all do i need to do to before painting it? Do I need to sand the frame? It is IKEA so not like it's really high quality wood, I'm thinking. It's painted black/ dark brown already. 4. Finally, does anyone have any other colour suggestions? I really want to paint the walls a turquoise/ sea blue. I'm trying to bring more of a bohemian feel to our bedroom, so I really want colours and even metal colours. I've never painted furniture like this before. That is, aside from spray painting some old sofa tables and a chair when I was in my early 20's, so nothing that I really cared about or that others had to live with. I'd like to do this right since my husband has to also like it.

q ideas for headboard makeover
  • Johnavallance82

Hello there,

You could Add two pillows and tie them to the top rail - or Add a curtain wire and thread a curtain or Net on it. - You could wind in and out the uprights with a Ribbon or Braid or Plastic strips or Blind slats in a basket weave manner - Attach a board to cover the rails and either, Paint or Paper or use Contact etc. or fabric and finish with Beading or Braid or you could pad the board and upholster it. Have fun, there are loots you can do to make it unique!

• Robyn Garner

Personally, I would first select a comforter and window coverings so you know what color would work best. Yes, you should remove the headboard while painting! Depending on what type of paint you choose, it dictates your prep from just cleaning and a light sanding (chalk paint) to full sanding for latex paint. You could also cover the headboard with a piece of MDF for a flat surface and wrap it with foam & batting for an upholstered headboard.

• Lynn Sorrell

the shinier the finish the more prep. needed before refinishing/painting anything. or you can primer with KILZ Adhesion High-Bonding Interior/Exterior Latex Primer/Sealer.

You would need to lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper to remove any gloss. Prime with Kilz primer then paint. Have you considered upholstering it?

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=upholster%20headboard

• Flipturn

The idea of 'threading' a long rectangular piece of fabric through the slats is easy to switch out if and when you tire of it. One you paint the wood, it will be much harder to try to change if you get new bedding or other decor items in the room.

Another idea using fabric (that is easy to change) is to make a padded slip cover for the entire headboard, that goes completely over top hiding the rails all together.

• Dee

If you really want to paint it, the headboard will need to be removed. I would first paint the walls, and get your bedding, as well as curtains or blinds. See what colors are in the bedding buy a print so you can catch that bohemian feel. If you do paint you will have to clean it really well and then lightly sand. Then get some Kilz or Zinser primer the one with hiding abilities. You do not want that dark paint to come thru. Then I would use a paint sprayer, or you can find the color you want in Rustoleum and spray paint so that you do not have brush marks.

My other suggestion is to buy 2 twin size quilts, sew them together on the top and make a slip cover. Add ribbons on the sides to close the cover.