Desk Makeover With Repurposed Tablecloth

$44

If you ever see a dated piece of wooden furniture for a great price, but don't know what to do with it... think of decoupage and bring that baby home.

Here's the plain Jane desk that I found at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for $40.

I liked the style and shape, but it definitely needed a makeover.

So to start I painted the whole thing white because I didn't want to risk the wood color showing through the fabric. Using a brush and a mini roller it took two coats.

I didn't worry about priming or sanding because I'm covering most of the paint with fabric.

Here's the lovely $1 floral fabric tablecloth that I'm using.

I measured and cut the fabric the sizes that I needed for the desk top and pull out shelf... and went to work.

I started on one end of the desk top and applied some Mod Podge with a foam brush, and I worked my way across... smoothing the fabric along as I went.

I smoothed out the top as much as I could, and then I did the same thing to the pull out shelf.

Then I gave both tops three coats of Mod Podge, including the overhanging pieces of fabric. I'll show you why below.

I measured, cut, and applied the fabric to the drawers leaving some overhanging fabric.

After a couple of coats of MP on everything and the overhanging fabric bits, I trimmed up the whole desk using a very sharp knife.

When you apply the Mod Podge to the overhanging fabric and let it harden you'll get nice crisp edges when you trim.

I spray painted the drawer handles white, and I like that they don't take away from the fabulously floral fabric.

The handles are there to be purely practical. The fabric is the star here.

I'm talking mega flower power, but it 's so pretty... sort of reminds me of impressionistic art, which I love.

Here's the pull out shelf where I keep my lap top.

You don't have to be an expert to do this and you can make almost anything look just the way you want it to.

To see the details of how I added the skirt, and more tips and photos, please check out my blog post Repurposed Tablecloth Decoupaged Desk Makeover.

Color Me Thrifty