Desk Makeover With Repurposed Tablecloth

$44

If you ever see a dated piece of wooden furniture for a great price, but don't know what to do with it... think of decoupage and bring that baby home.

Here's the plain Jane desk that I found at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for $40.

I liked the style and shape, but it definitely needed a makeover.

So to start I painted the whole thing white because I didn't want to risk the wood color showing through the fabric. Using a brush and a mini roller it took two coats.

I didn't worry about priming or sanding because I'm covering most of the paint with fabric.

Here's the lovely $1 floral fabric tablecloth that I'm using.

I measured and cut the fabric the sizes that I needed for the desk top and pull out shelf... and went to work.

I started on one end of the desk top and applied some Mod Podge with a foam brush, and I worked my way across... smoothing the fabric along as I went.

I smoothed out the top as much as I could, and then I did the same thing to the pull out shelf.

Then I gave both tops three coats of Mod Podge, including the overhanging pieces of fabric. I'll show you why below.

I measured, cut, and applied the fabric to the drawers leaving some overhanging fabric.

After a couple of coats of MP on everything and the overhanging fabric bits, I trimmed up the whole desk using a very sharp knife.

When you apply the Mod Podge to the overhanging fabric and let it harden you'll get nice crisp edges when you trim.

I spray painted the drawer handles white, and I like that they don't take away from the fabulously floral fabric.

The handles are there to be purely practical. The fabric is the star here.

I'm talking mega flower power, but it 's so pretty... sort of reminds me of impressionistic art, which I love.

Here's the pull out shelf where I keep my lap top.

You don't have to be an expert to do this and you can make almost anything look just the way you want it to.

To see the details of how I added the skirt, and more tips and photos, please check out my blog post Repurposed Tablecloth Decoupaged Desk Makeover.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Color Me Thrifty

• DiAnn

Does the mod podge feel sticky after it is dry? What will happen if water or other beverages are spilled on it? hot coffee?

• Bek

If you are worried about that, finish it with a couple of coats of polyurethane. Many, many years ago, I used to make hand-embroidered motorcycle gas tank covers. After the fabric was cut, fit, and glued, I hand-brushed several layers of polyurethane over the entire tank, and they wore just fine. I couldn't spray because I wanted to be careful to leave the texture as natural as possible.

For most applications, simply the Mod Podge is sufficient, but if you routinely have a beverage on your desk, I'd go for the extra protection.

• Chris DeMoines

How many tablecloths did you use?

• Carmel

Do you have to mix the mod podge.