Malan Heyns
Malan Heyns
  • South Africa

Concrete Coffee Table

$40

Stylish yet rugged, but beautiful coffee table in just a few steps!!

concrete coffee table

Here is how I made my concrete coffee table,

First make a mold out of milamin wood. The size is up to you.

This one is 500mmx1000mmx45mm.

Put silicone inside along the edges. Before pouring the concrete make sure that the mold is very clean and level. Then spray cooking spray inside the mold, or you can use olive oil, just to prevent the concrete from sticking to the mold.

concrete coffee table

This is just to show the reinforcement I use to strengthen the top. Poor the concrete to about 3/4 of the mold, and then vibrate all the air bubbles out, after vibrating you can put in the reinforcement bars. Then fill up the mold

concrete coffee table

After you fill up the mold just let it dry for 2 hours and then you can float the concrete to a nice finish. Let it dry for about 48 hours before taking it out of the mold.

concrete coffee table

After 48hours, gently turn the mold upside down and take the mold apart, and you are left with this super smooth concrete top. Let it dry for another day. Then you can sand down the edges, just to smooth the edges. I used a waterproof concrete sealend on the top, just to make it more durable. You can give it up to 4 coats.

concrete coffee table

Then we can move on to the wood base for the concrete top. I used pine wood. 4 pieces of 70mmx70mm for the legs. They are cut to 400mm

2 pieces of 30mmx95mm that’s cut to 320mm

2 pieces of 30mmx95mm that’s cut to 800mm.

concrete coffee table

This is how I have put together the pieces, its very simple and yet very strong. After assembly I finished the pine to a darker color.

concrete coffee table

Just another angle of the base. Now you are ready to put the concrete top on!!!

concrete coffee table
concrete coffee table
concrete coffee table

And just like that you’ve got a very modern and stylish concrete coffee table.

concrete coffee table

• Dominick Marschall

How did you secure the concrete to the wood?

• Angela.torp

I’d love to do this on a larger scale to all my kitchen countertops. Do you have any advice on how to do this without making a HUGE MESS??

• Malan Heyns

You could take out the old countertops and build the new ones outside and install them when dry🤔

• Sandra Allen

Okay this is "quickrete", not concrete. There is no gravel and that is a good thing to let everyone know. It's cement, a component of concrete.

And you didn't mention it but how much does it weigh?

• Malan Heyns

Its not quickrete, its a cement and sand mixture, I did not weigh it, but its not that heavy

• Sandra Allen

If you look at the photo that links to Amazon it says quickrete.

• Malan Heyns

Yes, I understand, but I did not use quickrete, Just regular sement and sand, but quickrete will work perfectly.

• Sandra Allen

Well when you tap onto the list of materials that photo and link to Amazon shows it so it was a bit confusing.

• LBuser

Home talk chooses which product they display, not the article author. It can get a bit confusing but that is the way they do it.

• Sandra Allen

I am surprised they do it that way now. Of all the posts I have put on, I never noticed the change.

Now it makes sense. Thanks!!

• Yvette Huesler

I would recommend using CementAll. It's available at Home Depot. Dries quickly and smooth as can be. I use it all the time. It's a bit more pricey, but worth it.

• Terry Freeland

Sandra Allen, First off, Quikrete is a brand, and what is pictured IS concrete. They make several variations of it. They do also make sand mix, and cement.

Cement is too week, but concrete or sand mix will both work for this sort of project. You could use their crack resistant version on a project this small and eliminate the rebar. I see someone recommended CementAll, It is pricey, and has it's place, but I do not recommend it for beginners. It is easy to finish, and is strong, but it hardens so fast, that some people cannot trowel in out to a finish before it is hardening, and it can get really hot, and sometimes the heat and cooling cycle, makes it change dimension and it cracks as a result.

If you are using a Melamine (not milamin) mold, you do not need to oil it, the concrete will not stick to it, or to silicone.

To get rid of the bubbles, you can tap the sides of the mold with a hammer, or vibrate it using an orbital sander.

Denise, I would not worry about knocking it over, that would be hard to do. The bigger danger around children, would then running around and falling into it, hitting their head on the corners.

As a tip for any wanting to try this, do not use too much water. Runny concrete is weak, it tends to crack, and finishes poorly. Your mixed concrete should be like thick oatmeal, you should be able to squeeze it into shapes that keep their shape, and will not try to level out on their own, think more like cookie dough.

The resources list has wood listed. The instructions specify milamin (they meant Melamine). Using Melamine, you get a smooth finish, and to not need oil or other release agent. It won't hurt the concrete, but it can inhibit adding a finish to the concrete. If you use Melamine, make sure there is not damage on it's surface, like little holes or scratches. These will not only be replicated in the concrete, but they can allow water to seep in under the laminate skin, and the wood chip particles underneath, will swell up, and leave dents in the finished concrete when it cures (hardens).

Using actual wood, on the other hand, concrete will stick in that case and oil would be advised, but the wood will not give the smooth result the Melamine will. The concrete will mimic the texture of what the mold is made out of.

• Wendy Anslem Maxwell

How did you vibrate to get the bubbles out, what was used?

• Denise

What if you knock the table over it would be dangerous around small children you need it anchor this some how

• CJ

Denise, I think the weight of the table would prevent it from tipping, it's a low table and a small child would not be able to move it.

• Yvette Huesler

way too heavy to be knocked over by a small or young child.