Katy | rancholaflor
Katy | rancholaflor
  • Lawrence, NY

Drab to Fab Side Tables

$40

These side tables were thrifted for $30 but they were rough! It's amazing what a little sweat equity and paint can achieve!

drab to fab side tables

These are what I started with. These side tables were huge, dirty and a little broken but they were only $30

drab to fab side tables

They had been colored on, gouged and cut on and generally, just abused and used as a home for mice! Gross is an understatement! BUT...they were strong and had good bones and I knew I could make them gorgeous!

drab to fab side tables

The first thing I did with these was to clean them thoroughly with Simple Green - THREE times! Second step was to scuff sand them with 220 grit sandpaper. I did end up taping off all the marble so I didn't scratch it or paint it. There were some areas with a mystery sticky substance on them that required me to scrape it off with a putty knife!

drab to fab side tables

The next step was to prime these so that nothing would bleed through and so that the paint would adhere well to the surface.

drab to fab side tables

Finally, after all the prep, it was time to paint! I used General Finishes milk paint in "Driftwood" and applied two coats.

drab to fab side tables

My client wanted some of the details of these end tables to "pop." To achieve that, I used "Winter White" glaze by General Finishes and applied it with a brush.

drab to fab side tables

It is important to work with small areas when glazing. Once you have it applied to the area, it is time to wipe it off. The goal here is to have it stay in all the nooks and crannies which will make those areas "pop!"

drab to fab side tables

These end tables went from trash to treasure and drab to fab! It truly is amazing what a little hard work and paint can accomplish!

• Luna

They look really nice but... how do they smell? If they'd been so abandoned as to become a home for mice, I can only imagine. I'm asking because I'm working on my grandpafebts' bedroom furniture and it all has a very characteristic smell I can't get rid of. Any suggestions would be welcome.

• Luna

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try it, since there isn't much else left I can do. I'll have to find a similar primer though, I'm Portuguese and finding or even ordering online American brands can be either impossible or terribly expensive.

• Grandma Beth

Where is the marble inset? I’d like to see what it looked like on the finished piece.

• Katy | rancholaflor

This is what the marble looked like before I refurbished them. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the tops when I was done. That said, the marble looked so much better with the Driftwood because the colors are complementary!

• Renee

How to make a floating desk