Santiago Romero Jr
Santiago Romero Jr
  • El Paso, TX
Asked on Jun 14, 2019

How do I get rid of unwanted grass?

Lynn SorrellBijousJoy30150932
+2

Don’t really know if this is grass, but it’s really coming out big in my backyard. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

q how do i get rid of this grass
q how do i get rid of this grass
  • Laura Cooper

That looks like crabgrass. We have it, too and it is very difficult to remove. After struggling with it and trying different techniques, we finally opted to buy a weed killer specifically designed for crabgrass (it will be called crabgrass killer). It slowly kills the crabgrass over the course of a couple of weeks. As the crabgrass is dying, reseed the area with a desirable grass seed and a thin cover of topsoil. The crabgrass will keep the new seed shaded and prevent erosion while the new grass develops roots. Once the desirable grass is established, it is difficult for crabgrass to take root again

• Jeanne

Mow it

• Joy30150932

If you have a lot of it then the easiest solution grass weed and feed and use that. It should kill off any weeds and let the grass grow in by fertilizing it making it more healthy so the weeds do not take over.

• Bijous

Hi Santiago, it's what my son and I call prairie grass in our yards. At this time of year, just keep it mowed, then in the fall do a weed preventative maintenance that is right for your planting zone. Here in zone 9 we do it in the fall and again in the spring. Hope this helps. Good luck!