DIY Dutch Door

$20

In this tutorial and video I demonstrate how I cut my old wood door into a dutch door.

This is the door between my house and my workroom. I've been eyeing this door for years with the desire to cut it into a dutch door. I knew the door was solid wood, but I wasn't sure it would stay in tact if cut it in half.

First I took the door off the hinges and set it on two saw horses with 1x4's underneath for support from end to end.

I used a T-square to mark a line across the door evenly between the bottom of the glass windows and the hole for the door knob.

I used my cordless circular saw to cut the door in half, following the line drawn exactly.

I separated the door to inspect it for strength and stability. Fortunately, it's solid wood and is just as strong cut in half as it was whole.

I brought it back inside and hung it on the same hinges that were on it before, and added a fourth hinge because the bottom half of the door only had one hinge. Now the bottom and top both have two hinges.

Next I cut a small shelf for both sides of the bottom half of the door. I used my jig saw to cut curved corners and my circular saw for the straight cut.

I used my Kreg Jig to make pocket holes on the underside of the shelf, to fasten the shelf to the bottom half of the dutch door.

The pocket holes worked like a charm to hold the shelf securely. I wasn't sure it would be enough to support the shelf alone so bought L brackets, but they were totally unnecessary.

I painted the door and with some leftover charcoal paint from my hallway/foyer reno. I love how it turned out...

I wasn't sure this project would work from the start since I was unsure of the inside construction of the door and whether or not it would stay stable after being cut in half. And I wasn't sure it would still swing properly after re-hanging. It all worked out and I'm thrilled with the results.

It was quick and easy. Once again the painting and finish work took longer than the actual cutting and hanging.

Super fun, fast, and easy project. Of course one thing leads to another and now I need to paint the brick walls around the door.

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Mimzy lombardo

• Elizabeth

how big is the space between the two halves. Do they rub together when you shut them? thank you. i love your new door and would like to do that to my kitchen door, it opens on to the sun room.

• Mimzy lombardo

There isn’t really any space between the doors. They do rub against one another at one point. Depending upon how open or closed the doors is. Mostly they pass by each other freely except for one spot then they rub slightly. Does that make sense?.

• Barb

How do you keep the top and bottom together so you can use like regular door when needed?

• Mimzy lombardo

A sliding brass lock. Kinda like a hotel room door. Sold at Home Depot.

• PENNY SIEWERT

Did you add a lock to the upper door that would attach to the bottom door to keep them together when you don't want the top open?

• Cynthia Garces Deleon

This is an awesome project it looks beautiful!! I have always loved these doors!! Very inspiring!! ❤❤❤

• Nancy Homer

I come up with lots of ideas for small home improvements, but no talent for DIY,, however I’m great at securing expert help. I plan on taking this idea & using it in my home ,,thx