DIY Dutch Door

$20

In this tutorial and video I demonstrate how I cut my old wood door into a dutch door.

diy dutch door

This is the door between my house and my workroom. I've been eyeing this door for years with the desire to cut it into a dutch door. I knew the door was solid wood, but I wasn't sure it would stay in tact if cut it in half.

diy dutch door

First I took the door off the hinges and set it on two saw horses with 1x4's underneath for support from end to end.

diy dutch door

I used a T-square to mark a line across the door evenly between the bottom of the glass windows and the hole for the door knob.

diy dutch door

I used my cordless circular saw to cut the door in half, following the line drawn exactly.

diy dutch door

I separated the door to inspect it for strength and stability. Fortunately, it's solid wood and is just as strong cut in half as it was whole.

diy dutch door

I brought it back inside and hung it on the same hinges that were on it before, and added a fourth hinge because the bottom half of the door only had one hinge. Now the bottom and top both have two hinges.

diy dutch door

Next I cut a small shelf for both sides of the bottom half of the door. I used my jig saw to cut curved corners and my circular saw for the straight cut.

diy dutch door

I used my Kreg Jig to make pocket holes on the underside of the shelf, to fasten the shelf to the bottom half of the dutch door.

diy dutch door

The pocket holes worked like a charm to hold the shelf securely. I wasn't sure it would be enough to support the shelf alone so bought L brackets, but they were totally unnecessary.

diy dutch door

I painted the door and with some leftover charcoal paint from my hallway/foyer reno. I love how it turned out...

diy dutch door

I wasn't sure this project would work from the start since I was unsure of the inside construction of the door and whether or not it would stay stable after being cut in half. And I wasn't sure it would still swing properly after re-hanging. It all worked out and I'm thrilled with the results.

diy dutch door

It was quick and easy. Once again the painting and finish work took longer than the actual cutting and hanging.

Super fun, fast, and easy project. Of course one thing leads to another and now I need to paint the brick walls around the door.

Mimzy lombardo

• Allison

How could I insulate between the top section and the bottom section of the door? I live in a colder climate, and the cut could make for a drafty room. If someone has a great idea, I’m going to have a dutch door!

• Crystal Melancon

If you can find the door sweeps that slide onto the bottom of an exterior door for insulation purposes, you could use that on the bottom of the top half. You can get them at a hardware store near the weather stripping

• Marnie

I don't see a handle on the top portion of the door. How do you open, close and lock that?

• Suzanne

You cant do that with the pie shelf on the bottom half of the door

• Marlissa Gibbs

I have metal doors that look just like your wooden door you started with. Really can't afford to buy another door. Do you think I could do this with a metal door?

• Tom
      30 minutes ago

It could be done at a metal fabricating shop, but the cost would be more than buying a door.

• Mrs B

Great job!! Now you've got me looking at all my interior doors to see which ones I want to tackle ;) Basement, laundry room, pantry . . .

• Teresa Bessman

I want to do this for my little's bedrooms.. How can I do this with hallow doors?

• Eileen

You would need to reinforce the insides of top and bottom halves. just get some slats of wood that are the same width as the hole (typical inside door is 1 and 1/4" deep) i would go with a 11/4" by 2" deep wood . cut 2 of them to the width of the door and then glue them into the Inside of the holes so that they are flush with the edges.