DIY Dutch Door

$20

In this tutorial and video I demonstrate how I cut my old wood door into a dutch door.

This is the door between my house and my workroom. I've been eyeing this door for years with the desire to cut it into a dutch door. I knew the door was solid wood, but I wasn't sure it would stay in tact if cut it in half.

First I took the door off the hinges and set it on two saw horses with 1x4's underneath for support from end to end.

I used a T-square to mark a line across the door evenly between the bottom of the glass windows and the hole for the door knob.

I used my cordless circular saw to cut the door in half, following the line drawn exactly.

I separated the door to inspect it for strength and stability. Fortunately, it's solid wood and is just as strong cut in half as it was whole.

I brought it back inside and hung it on the same hinges that were on it before, and added a fourth hinge because the bottom half of the door only had one hinge. Now the bottom and top both have two hinges.

Next I cut a small shelf for both sides of the bottom half of the door. I used my jig saw to cut curved corners and my circular saw for the straight cut.

I used my Kreg Jig to make pocket holes on the underside of the shelf, to fasten the shelf to the bottom half of the dutch door.

The pocket holes worked like a charm to hold the shelf securely. I wasn't sure it would be enough to support the shelf alone so bought L brackets, but they were totally unnecessary.

I painted the door and with some leftover charcoal paint from my hallway/foyer reno. I love how it turned out...

I wasn't sure this project would work from the start since I was unsure of the inside construction of the door and whether or not it would stay stable after being cut in half. And I wasn't sure it would still swing properly after re-hanging. It all worked out and I'm thrilled with the results.

It was quick and easy. Once again the painting and finish work took longer than the actual cutting and hanging.

Super fun, fast, and easy project. Of course one thing leads to another and now I need to paint the brick walls around the door.

Mimzy lombardo

• Marnie

I don't see a handle on the top portion of the door. How do you open, close and lock that?

• Jae
      10 hours ago

A couple of the pictures show a sliding bolt about halfway up the upper leaf. I think that is what she is grabbing to pull the upper leaf close and to lock it.

• Marlissa Gibbs

I have metal doors that look just like your wooden door you started with. Really can't afford to buy another door. Do you think I could do this with a metal door?

• Helga
      5 minutes ago

I LoVE It! Really Nice Job!! I' ve wanted one for a long time, but my mobile home door is not wood........ and also wondered about this project with a metal door. OR... ? if there was a way to install a window in the top half that could be opened and closed. I live in a So California HOT (summer) desert

• Candy Davidson

How did you keep the glass on top from breaking from the vibration of the saw?

• Heidi
    8 hours ago

Hi, it's wonderful. I thought the brick looks kinda rustic good like that too. I'm looking for a for a door to do now.

• Mimzy lombardo
    7 hours ago

Omg!!! It’s soooo cute! What a great idea! Did you share a tutorial on Hometalk?