Jody Harris
Jody Harris
  • Tutorial Team
  • Shelton, WA

Lone 4th of July Star

$15

I had a drawer from a project that wasn’t used. The bottom was in pretty bad shape so I took it out and replaced it with some barn wood we had. I just nailed it to the bottom using my air nailer. I also kept the knob on because I though it added character.

lone 4th of july star

Everything got a light sanding. Then it was time to paint.

lone 4th of july star

The inside got dry brushed with a white paint.

lone 4th of july star

This barbed wire star was purchased from Hobby Lobby on sale. I taped off the barded wire, I then spray painted just the star a rustic red.

lone 4th of july star

After that dried I lightly dry brushed the entire piece with the same white paint I used on the drawer.

lone 4th of july star

This is the brand of paint I used. I really like the coverage it gives.

lone 4th of july star

The outside of the drawer was dry brushed with a blue color. After the blue dried, I went lightly with a very dry white brush. I liked this distressed look better that sand distressing the drawer. Hope this makes sense!

lone 4th of july star

I hung the star using a cup hook. That way I can change it out for different holidays if I choose to. It can either sit on a table or I can put a picture hanger on the back to hang it at the back doorway. I haven’t decided that yet. I do love how rustic it looks!

• Loretta

What is dry brushing

• Jody Harris

Dry brushing is having very little paint on your brush. You lightly place it in the paint, brush it on a paper towel to get the excess paint off and then lightly brush whatever you are painting. It’s usually used to accent. Hope this answers your question!

• Darlyne Weese

sweet love it

• Maureen

Amazing job!! Very creative way to use a drawer. The possibilities are endless of what you could put inside.

Something for every holiday..and I do love the star!!