HEIDI
HEIDI
  • Canada

How I Saved $10,000 Making My Own Countertop!

$500

We recently renovated our kitchen and discovered first hand just how expensive solid surface countertops like granite or quartz can be. After much research we decided to have a go at making a concrete countertop. It wasn't without it's challenges but in the end we made an amazing looking countertop that impresses anyone who walks into our home. It's truly a conversation piece and in this project I would like to share with you what we learned, how we did it and how you can do it too.

I've posted a video below that show's how we built our countertop and step by step instructions on how you can make your own concrete countertop. Please feel free to ask a question in the comments and Join me on Youtube or Instagram for more great projects like this one.

Follow these 6 Steps To Make Your Own Countertop

how i saved 10 000 making my own countertop

Step 1: Make the mold - Using white melamine make a mold to pour the concrete into. If your using polymer modified concrete you can make your mold as thin as 3/4" thick. If your using traditional concrete mix you will need to make it a minimum of 1.5" thick.

Step 2: Seal edges - We don't want water leaking trough the edges of the mold because it will swell the melamine. Use caulking to seal the edges and a Metal ball fondant tool to give a round edge finish in the form.

Step 3 : Clean The Mold - Vacuum the mold out and then use paint thinner to finish cleaning the mold. It's important that you don't leave anything in the mold as this will show up on the finished surface of your countertop.

Step 4: Mix and pour your concrete - If your using traditional concrete mix 1 part portland cement, 2 parts sand, 2 parts pea gravel or 1/4 " crush washed gravel. If your using a polymer modified mix use instructions on bag. Once mixed use a to spay gun to apply the first layer of concrete into your mold this will produce a flawless finish. Next pour contents into mold and vibrate to remove air bubbles, this will also produce a smooth finished surface. Let mold sit for 48 hours with traditional mix or as little as 3 hrs with polymer modified mix.

Step 5 : Polishing your concrete countertop - Polishing can be a short or long process depending on what you want your finish to look like. If your after a flat look with limited aggregate exposed. You'll want to wet sand lightly with 200 then 400 grit diamond sanding discs to remove any heavy deposits of concrete on the back side of the countertop pour.

Step 6 : Sealing your concrete countertop - This is probably the most important step. Use a high quality sealer specifically designed for counter tops. In the video Heidi used surecrete sealer but there are many other good products out there. So do some research online and see what else you can find. One recommendation I would give when looking for a good sealer is make use it is a two part sealer. These tend to be far more durable.

Installation was easy just use some caulking on the top of the cabinet and slide the countertop in place. If you liked this project check my other projects out on:

• Youtube @ youtube.com/c/timbertea
  • Instagram @ instagram.com/timberandtea_

If you have any questions leave me a comment and I'll do my best to help!

HEIDI

• Lisa Fauerbach

very impressive and beautifully done! I love it!

• Nick

How long did this take roughly per counter.

• HEIDI

To do the small countertops by the stove it took us about 4hrs. This was split up over a few days as you need to wait for the concrete to reach maximum strength before polishing it.

• Kristie Everton

I think colored glass or some other colored material would be pretty-how would I incorporate that into the countertop ? Sand/grind it smooth ?

• Patricia

I couldn't see the video, you was talking about. How can i see it

• HEIDI

Hey Patricia here's a link to the concrete countertop youtube video. I'm just working on putting out another video that will show how to do the butcher block wood inlay and sink cut out in the island that you also see in the video. Will post a link when I get it done, feel free to subscribe on youtube and ring that little bell so your notified when I post the next video! Lot's more DIY projects to come :)

• Jayne

I have one counter top that is 12’ with the sink in it. Also my island has the cooktop in it. Would you construct the mold to accommodate? Or do you cut it out? Is length of the counter top mold an issue?

• HEIDI

Yes length can be an issue with a 12 ft long counter because we are using melamine for the mold and it only comes in 8 ft sheets. I don't think it would look very good to do it in two pieces. I'd suggest placing two sheets of melamine together and seal the joint with caulking you don't want it swelling when you pour the concrete in it. If you do it by the sink it will minimize the amount of sanding you need to do from the imperfection the seam may leave when done. I might try tackling this issue in a upcoming video! I would construct the mold to accommodate the stove top no point in making more work for yourself. You could cut it out after but it's kinda a pain and takes more material. Feel free to subscribe to my Youtube channel for upcoming video's on sealing and making the butcher block island with sink!