How to Make Faux Beams

$100

A client wanted a 24’ laminate beam covered in barn oak so we made these huge faux beams!! Check out my tutorial for a step-by-step guide to help you create your own!

Tools and Materials

• wood
  • saw
  • wood filler
  • laminate
  • screws
  • metal brackets
  • spray paint

Measure

Measure

First, we measured the beam from the ceiling down. That was 11 1/4” and the client wanted to have at least an 8” wide beam. 24’ solid would have been way too heavy so we decided to do it in 3 sections.

Cut

Cut

For the beams, I cut all my pieces at 8’ length. For each beam section, I ripped two 12” boards and one 8” board.

Create the Box

Create the Box

Normally, I’d do a 45 degree miter cut but since we needed all the length, I did a really simple box. This way I’d have 12” inside.

Add Wood Filler

Add Wood Filler

I wood filled the seams to help it look more like a solid piece and sanded once that was dry.

DIY Wood Beams

I ran into a small hiccup when I couldn’t find enough barn oak but I glued up two smaller pieces to finish the project. So the three beams were done!!! Now for some prep work on site.

Cut Particle Board

Cut Particle Board

I had some left over particle board, so I cut it into manageable strips to add to the sides of the laminate beams. Since we were going with 8” faux beams, I needed to make the laminate thicker so I’d have some meat to screw to.

Attach Particle Board to Laminate Beams

Attach Particle Board to Laminate Beams

This is looking up at the laminate beam. I attached as many pieces as I needed to get my width. It was only two inches added to once side and about 4 on the other due to the wall placement which you’ll see in the final picture!

DIY Wrapped Beam

Since these were pretty heavy, I had my screws in place to make the install quicker!

Paint

Paint

I made some metal brackets and spray painted them and my screws flat black.

Install

Install

The brackets hid the seams perfectly!!

The finished product looks expensive and rustic!

To see more: //www.sawdustandwhiskey.com

• Joanie

The brackets gave it some added beauty.......I LOVE your beams......they are great looking!!!

• Mcgypsy9

Absolutely gorgeous! Great job!