Sawdust & Whiskey
Sawdust & Whiskey
  • Nashville, TN

How to Make Faux Beams

$100

A client wanted a 24’ laminate beam covered in barn oak so we made these huge faux beams!!

how to make faux beams

First, we measured the beam from the ceiling down. That was 11 1/4” and the client wanted to have at least an 8” wide beam. 24’ solid would have been way too heavy so we decided to do it in 3 sections.

how to make faux beams

For the beams, I cut all my pieces at 8’ length. For each beam section, I ripped two 12” boards and one 8” board.

how to make faux beams

Normally, I’d do a 45 degree miter cut but since we needed all the length, I did a really simple box. This way I’d have 12” inside.

how to make faux beams

I wood filled the seams to help it look more like a solid piece and sanded once that was dry.

how to make faux beams

I ran into a small hiccup when I couldn’t find enough barn oak but I glued up two smaller pieces to finish the project. So the three beams were done!!! Now for some prep work on site.

how to make faux beams

I had some left over particle board, so I cut it into manageable strips to add to the sides of the laminate beams. Since we were going with 8” faux beams, I needed to make the laminate thicker so I’d have some meat to screw to.

how to make faux beams

This is looking up at the laminate beam. I attached as many pieces as I needed to get my width. It was only two inches added to once side and about 4 on the other due to the wall placement which you’ll see in the final picture!

how to make faux beams

Since these were pretty heavy, I had my screws in place to make the install quicker!

how to make faux beams

I made some metal brackets and spray painted them and my screws flat black.

how to make faux beams

The brackets hid the seams perfectly!!

To see more: //www.sawdustandwhiskey.com

• Thammy

I would like to know what is the purpose of the beam. Thanks.

• Jeff Jackson

Well the original beam holds up the ceiling above that open area allowing for more open space in the room without floor to ceiling supports interrupting the view. The faux beam created in this article is purely for looks.

• Darene

Not a question, just a comment - Excellent Job!

• Ardis Olson

I have wanted to do this for years! Please let me know how you attached it to the ceiling. Thanks! I love the metal brackets to cover where you had seams, brilliant!