Lime-washed Brick

$500
Advanced

I have dreamed of having a white house ever since we bought our sweet little red brick home. The brick of our home, however, is far to porous for paint to be an option, so I turned to Romabio Limewash to help make my dream a reality.

You first need to prep the brick by power washing it to get as much dirt and grime off as possible.

Once you’re ready to start limewashing, you need to dampen the brick area you plan to work with. Then start applying your limewash! If you use Romabio product, you’ll have to mix it with water- I used a 1:1 ratio (meaning equal parts water to limewash).

I used the Romabio masonry brush to apply.

This process is very messy! I recommend covering your cement before starting. You can power wash the cement after the limewash on your brick dries for about 30 minutes, but I had to go back and touch up lower bricks after doing that.

If you’re considering limewashing your home, I’d highly recommend watching some YouTube videos from Romabio. They’re very helpful.

After the limewash has dried for 30 minutes, you go back and hose off the excess limewash and this is when you would add distressing to the brick to make it look aged.

I just used a hose and spray nozzle to get the distressing I wanted.

One thing I’d like to note about this process is that it is a bit difficult to get the limewash on evenly. (Possibly user error 😂)

I had to go back and do a second coat on some areas to get the look I wanted. Luckily, I wanted it to look heavily distressed and aged.

Here you can see the finished product (at least the finished front. I have quite a bit more to do around the house haha)

Here are a few before and after comparison shots. I know it may not be everyone’s style, but my family and I LOVE our pretty little home.

• Liz

Nikki, I asked about the paint sprayer for the diluted lime wash because I wondered if it would be less labor intensive. You've done a lovely job, but I couldn't help thinking how tiring it must be on your arms and shoulders. My parents painted a stucco house white and the cement wore down their brushes! Finally, as a last resort, they finished painting with cut off brooms. (The natural kind of broom made from broom straw.) I love the look of white washed brick, and have wracked my brain trying to think of an easier method of painting. I may try using a paint sprayer with the lime wash thinned with water 50-50, and then using the hose to wash off the excess. We found a good cement/porch paint that we'll use later on our walkways and front porch. Please show us your house when you finish!

• Stormy

Let me know how the sprayer works... I might try that myself :)

• Donna Glenn

When you need to clean it and powerwash..will it come off?

• Nina Li

I think any paint would come off when you pressure wash. When I pressure washed my house some of the paint flew off. I love the way it looks!

• Angi

I think it's just cool as all get out! I didn't know lime washing even existed. Thanks for sharing this with us. My question is kind of unrelated to the limewashing tho. Did you stencil the concrete in front of your door? It looks like it, and looks great! From the point of view of the camera anyway lol. Which stencil, if any, did you use?

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

It is a stencil! I got it from cutting edge stencils and it’s the Augusta stencil.

I also used one of their stencils to create a ‘rug’ for our patio that turned out beautifully 😊

• Marsha DeVaughn

Good job! I painted my brick house that was built in 1964. What a job!!! But looks so much better!!!! Yours does too!!!

• Martha
    2 hours ago

I love EVERYTHING about your re-do. Love the limewash, love the turquoise door with the big numbers, love the wood crates for plants, love the stenciled concrete.......love it ALL !!!