Lime-washed Brick

$500
Advanced

I have dreamed of having a white house ever since we bought our sweet little red brick home. The brick of our home, however, is far to porous for paint to be an option, so I turned to Romabio Limewash to help make my dream a reality.

You first need to prep the brick by power washing it to get as much dirt and grime off as possible.

Once you’re ready to start limewashing, you need to dampen the brick area you plan to work with. Then start applying your limewash! If you use Romabio product, you’ll have to mix it with water- I used a 1:1 ratio (meaning equal parts water to limewash).

I used the Romabio masonry brush to apply.

This process is very messy! I recommend covering your cement before starting. You can power wash the cement after the limewash on your brick dries for about 30 minutes, but I had to go back and touch up lower bricks after doing that.

If you’re considering limewashing your home, I’d highly recommend watching some YouTube videos from Romabio. They’re very helpful.

After the limewash has dried for 30 minutes, you go back and hose off the excess limewash and this is when you would add distressing to the brick to make it look aged.

I just used a hose and spray nozzle to get the distressing I wanted.

One thing I’d like to note about this process is that it is a bit difficult to get the limewash on evenly. (Possibly user error 😂)

I had to go back and do a second coat on some areas to get the look I wanted. Luckily, I wanted it to look heavily distressed and aged.

Here you can see the finished product (at least the finished front. I have quite a bit more to do around the house haha)

Here are a few before and after comparison shots. I know it may not be everyone’s style, but my family and I LOVE our pretty little home.

15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers

• Angi

I think it's just cool as all get out! I didn't know lime washing even existed. Thanks for sharing this with us. My question is kind of unrelated to the limewashing tho. Did you stencil the concrete in front of your door? It looks like it, and looks great! From the point of view of the camera anyway lol. Which stencil, if any, did you use?

• Joanne

Taught is was a rug I had to go back to take a double look. Good Job it looks really nice.

• Dee

Hi Nikki great job! My question is about the stenciled rug . Did you use stain or paint and how is it holding up?

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

I used paint. I actually stenciled it 3 years ago and sealed it with a matte polycrilic that I had on hand. It’s Mostly covered by our roof, and has held up great!

• Jacqueline Wise

Does it have to be white? Are there any other colors?

• Lauren Marshall

Had my red brick house lime washed last year with Romabio products and it looks fantastic.

• Liz Weiss

An effort well worth it. Its beautiful!