Debra Cunningham
Debra Cunningham
  • Lawrence, MA
Asked on Jun 16, 2019

How do I get glass beads to stick in cement?

WilliamBetsyPatty Smith
+1

I've seen other people who mix glass beads into cement giving it a jeweled look. It seems when I try to do this, thecement dries and the beads pop out despite having 1/2 inch cement base. Is there something I can do to keep them in place?

• Brenda

Possibly glue in place

• Patty Smith

Hi, I’m a stained glass artist and I make cement shapes with stained glass art work. I only use cement and fill the mold up a little from the top. Once I’ve moved and tapped it a little bit to get air bubbles out, I put a water tight glue on the cement and the glass pieces and place them in the cement. I let the entire project cure for 5 days in the mold, then remove the mold and let cure for another 5 days then spay 3-4 coats of cement sealer and let dry. I polish the glass with furniture polish one it’s ready for delivery. I did a stone for a customer in New Jersey 20 years ago and it’s still in one piece. I hope this works for you. Good luck.

Hi Debra: Maybe treat it like you are going to tile something. After the cement form dries, use glue, like E6000 and glue your glass beads in place and then use grout all over the beads and then clean it off. Here's a site that may help with the grout. https://www.familyhandyman.com/tiling/grouting/grouting-tips-and-techniques/ Good luck

It's not the cement. It's grout around the beads. Glue the beads to a substrate then use grout around the beads. Use E6000 glue.

Another way is to lay out the beads in a form then pour cement over them.