DIY Resin Cactus Coasters

$10

Learn how to make a cactus coaster set using resin! It's an easy resin DIY! Cacti are so popular right now in home decor -- not just for Arizonians! This cactus project is actually a set of coasters that can be used as a decoration and it is totally functional as four resin drink coasters! For more pictures, full directions and materials list, see my original blog post here: https://craftklatchwithmona.blogspot.com/2019/03/diy-resin-cactus-coasters-another.html

I started by painting directly on my mold. I painted little red flowers, white speckles for the cactus stickers and stripes to give the cactus definition. I stared with the flowers, then the sticker and then the stripes.

I had these very small white fake flowers. I painted them the same color as the flowers I painted on the mold. I tried to make the ones I painted similar in shape.

I mixed my resin and added green pigment powder. I poured one ounce into each of the four cavities that I painted.

I used my lighter to pop the bubbles. I let it all cure for 12 hours before removing them from the molds.

Once cured, pulled them out of the molds and they looked like this. The paint has become one with the resin. It can't scratch off or be removed.

On the other side, I painted the same design. This time I had to work backwards. I painted the stripes first, then the stickers...

...then the flowers. I let it all dry.

Once dry, I mixed four ounces of resin and slowly poured it onto the freshly painted side of the coasters. You want to be careful not to let the resin overflow the edges.

I popped the bubbles with my lighter and let it cure.

Once cured, I drilled small holes into the sides of the coasters and I glued in the little flowers I had painted. I thought it would give them a little more dimension.

I filled a clay pot with rocks. I think coffee beans would have been a good choice too and smaller pebbles.

The rocks allow the coasters to stand in the clay pot. The only thing I might had done differently is I may have given the clay pot a light white or gray wash, just so it didn't look that new. Other than that, I'm happy!

Hope you like it! Thanks for stopping by! For more pictures, full directions and materials list, see my original blog post here: https://craftklatchwithmona.blogspot.com/2019/03/diy-resin-cactus-coasters-another.html

Mona

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Mona  ~ Craft Klatch

• Barbara Wyles

These are so adorable! Great job!

• Laurie Morin

I love these! Wonderful job! Where do you get your resin? I've never used it but I'd like to try.

• Christine

Lowe's or Home Depot in the paint department, Hobby Lobby, Michael's and online at amazon.

• Martha Clausen

Miss Mona these are really cute! I need to play with resin again.

I have my late Mother’s antique wood tables that we use all the time.

I would like to use a backing for each coaster so that they would not mar the wood. What material(s) would you suggest?

Thank you so much.

Hugs... Martha from Idaho

• Mona ~ Craft Klatch

Hi Martha -

Thank you so much!

You can do it a couple of different ways!

1. You can buy those little silicone dots that will protect the table. They have a sticky side and you can stick them right on.
      2. Cork shelf liner. It also has a sticky side. You can trace around your coaster and trim it up. It sticks right to the bottom. I did it on these shark coasters: https://craftklatchwithmona.blogspot.com/2019/07/diy-shark-coasters-shark-week-inspired.html

My site is under construction, so please excuse if things are not quite working smoothly over there just yet!

Have a wonderful day!

Mona