DIY Resin Cactus Coasters

$10

Learn how to make a cactus coaster set using resin! It's an easy resin DIY! Cacti are so popular right now in home decor -- not just for Arizonians! This cactus project is actually a set of coasters that can be used as a decoration and it is totally functional as four resin drink coasters! For more pictures, full directions and materials list, see my original blog post here: https://craftklatchwithmona.blogspot.com/2019/03/diy-resin-cactus-coasters-another.html

diy resin cactus coasters

I started by painting directly on my mold. I painted little red flowers, white speckles for the cactus stickers and stripes to give the cactus definition. I stared with the flowers, then the sticker and then the stripes.

diy resin cactus coasters

I had these very small white fake flowers. I painted them the same color as the flowers I painted on the mold. I tried to make the ones I painted similar in shape.

diy resin cactus coasters

I mixed my resin and added green pigment powder. I poured one ounce into each of the four cavities that I painted.

diy resin cactus coasters

I used my lighter to pop the bubbles. I let it all cure for 12 hours before removing them from the molds.

diy resin cactus coasters

Once cured, pulled them out of the molds and they looked like this. The paint has become one with the resin. It can't scratch off or be removed.

diy resin cactus coasters

On the other side, I painted the same design. This time I had to work backwards. I painted the stripes first, then the stickers...

diy resin cactus coasters

...then the flowers. I let it all dry.

diy resin cactus coasters

Once dry, I mixed four ounces of resin and slowly poured it onto the freshly painted side of the coasters. You want to be careful not to let the resin overflow the edges.

diy resin cactus coasters

I popped the bubbles with my lighter and let it cure.

diy resin cactus coasters

Once cured, I drilled small holes into the sides of the coasters and I glued in the little flowers I had painted. I thought it would give them a little more dimension.

diy resin cactus coasters

I filled a clay pot with rocks. I think coffee beans would have been a good choice too and smaller pebbles.

diy resin cactus coasters

The rocks allow the coasters to stand in the clay pot. The only thing I might had done differently is I may have given the clay pot a light white or gray wash, just so it didn't look that new. Other than that, I'm happy!

diy resin cactus coasters

Hope you like it! Thanks for stopping by! For more pictures, full directions and materials list, see my original blog post here: https://craftklatchwithmona.blogspot.com/2019/03/diy-resin-cactus-coasters-another.html

Mona

diy resin cactus coasters

Mona  ~ Craft Klatch

• Sally-Charles Evans

I love these! Could you have put the first half back in the molds, bottom up, to prevent over-flow? Soooooooo cute!!