How can I cover these windows?

+15

I have 2 large floor to ceiling kitchen windows (see pic). I only want the bottom half covered. In the past I’ve had blinds, shades, and film on them. I really like shutters but I’m hesitant because I’m probably going to repaint my kitchen and I’m not sure what color scheme I will go with so I don’t want to spend the money on shutters right now. I have a cat that likes to claw so I have to take that into consideration. Also, since it’s a kitchen, I don’t want anything that can’t be cleaned easily. I really like them without anything but at night it’s a clear view into the kitchen from the street. Any outside of the box ideas?

q window covering suggestions
  • Pat Pat on Jun 17, 2019

Cafe curtains hung from the middle of your window down.. If the windows have a side you could use a tension rod... Cafe curtains are easy to wash and give your kitchen a cheery color.

• See 2 previous
    • LAlady LAlady on Jun 17, 2019

Good idea!

• Dee Dee on Jun 17, 2019

or a Roman shade would look nice.

• J J on Jun 17, 2019

That’s what I would suggest also. Plus kitty can still peek out for fun.

• Em Em on Jun 17, 2019

Sheets on a tension rod. Can change and wash. I don't know how people can NOT have coverings for windows although I love to let the light in. At night you are so right. You will not believe the amount of peeping toms ( and I don't mean your cats) that are out there. I know from an ugly experience what lengths people go to, to look into your home. Get the clip on curtain rod curtain holders at Target. Different colors, easy to use and change out.

• Gk Gk on Jun 17, 2019

You could put some privacy film on the bottom windows. It would let in the most light, the cat shouldn't bother it, and it's easy to wipe off. There have so many pretty decorative window films these days. Check out Amazon for some reasonably priced window films.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 19, 2019

I think that a cat who likes to claw already would probably have a field day with a Roman shade. Roman shades are not easy to wash. Also, they are not the fastest window covering to frequently move up and down, especially if you like to have the folds and bottoms even.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 19, 2019

I agree that plantation shutters would be the best choice all around.

However, in the meantime, as a temporary solution, What about curtains on a side mount swing arm rod that swings open to one side? With this style of window covering it is fast and easy to 'open' and 'close'.

If you mount one rod for the upper half of the window, and one rod for the lower , you will have the added option of having either the top or the bottom window covered, depending on time of day, and the amount of light or privacy wanted.

As for kitty...... you might have to get a cat nip covered scratching post......

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden Catherine Deirdre Rodden on Jun 19, 2019

I'd personally go with wooden shutters. When you redecorate the kitchen, they can easily be painted. You can run wrapping paper through the slats for custom framed photo look and that can get changed out seasonally.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 21, 2019

The windows in Sea Creature's comment are sliding.

LAlady's windows are sash style.

It may be hard to keep contact paper stuck on to the upper sash window without scraping and peeling off.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jun 22, 2019

Simple shades would be a great temporary solution. They are inexpensive and can be let all the way up during the day and at night can be pulled down for total privacy.

You can find them in many sizes. https://www.amazon.com/Levolor-Window-Roller-Darkening-Washable/dp/B00D8GS5AA/ref=sr_1_22?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1561239772&refinements=p_36%3A1253523011&rnid=386465011&s=home-garden&sr=1-22

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Apr 07, 2021

You could use a tension rod and cut a curtain to fit. Something like what I did to create a privacy door here https://chascrazycreations.com/using-a-tension-rod-for-privacy/

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Apr 07, 2021

Hello. If curtains aren’t your thing you might want to consider a window cling. There are decorative ones and frosted ones. We find it to be the perfect solution in our bathrooms. It gives bright illumination but complete privacy.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 28, 2021

Hi! Since you've already tried window film, what about frosting the glass?